Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
sorry, didn't realize I wasn't suppose to post in these forums??? or in a home owner one. I just googled, found this forum, found a similar post, thought I would post...

for the pump lowering, that does make sense doesn't it, the water recharging the well is found in that extra 60 feet... Even if the water was there before, not having the pump down below it's level means it was never tapped.

The question I had to them was why was it so high off the bottom of the well.

Thing is a typical well store water at 1-1/2 gallons per ft. That 22 should have been available 80 ft higher. Im thinking they did a quicky flow test after installing 5 hp and not a real draw down flow test.

Interesting and maybe educational topic Mike . Thinking other irrigation contractors may want to see it.
yes, I agree (and not to go too of topic) but we "try" to keep things in their appropriate forums and also figure most of you irrigation guys thought the same...anyway, I can move it back to the irrigation forum

thanks all, now back on topic :):waving:

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Sure, that makes sense... well I do appreciate the help. I did adjust those nozzles and slowed the turn on time from 30 seconds to 1 minute, then 30 seconds to recharge... It's better than what it was.

I am thinking it's just the way it is for a high horse motor... I think looking at a 2 horse when this one does go in 15 years maybe a better aligned pump for my needs.

or I have a creek nearby, maybe hook into that for irrigation at some point...

I do appreciate the feedback, kind of reaffirms what I have been doing and thinking.

You're not using the full capacity of that pump, you should know how many GPM you're getting and at what pressure and plan the zones accordingly (or renozzle them).

As a quick fix, install a cycle stop valve - http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/prod_csv125.html - and it will stop the pump from short cycling. It will vent water from the pressure relief so if the well is in a pump house, you're going to need to plumb that to drain outside.

If you have the access and clearance, you can run an air tube down the well and blow air into it, and by reading a pressure gauge on the air tube, calculate the water level in the well. Even without calculations, the air pressure reading will tell you if the water level is rising or falling, and make it easier to find a steady-state operating point.

A plastic cycle stop is a good idea, never used one, I know they are cheap. I had no idea it needed to vent. What I always used were: http://cla-val.com
Yeah, they create some back pressure on the pump that will vent out the release valve. It will dump a fair amount of water so you want to put it somewhere that can handle it or you'll end up with a lot of standing water. It can be a pain to find a good spot to drain it to but it is less of a pain than replacing a well pump.

The CSV is about $100 +/-, depending on the size and pressure. If that well pump is cycling from 45PSI - 75PSI, I'd get a 60PSI CSV and nozzle my heads to take full advantage of that.

This is what I use

I'm sure the cyclestops that Bernie is speaking of are actually meant to be installed inside of the well casing. The valves I use do not leak or bypass any water whatsoever.

The op has a problem that's being overlooked guys, rather than suggest quick fixes, he should do or have done a pump down test to tell him his supply, depletion and recharge rates.

If the tank and pressure switch are ok, the only thing left is the pump and conveyance piping. If those are good the mechanical troubles become hydraulic, supply, demand.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jim, the CSV isn't what leaks, it's the pressure relief on the well. They do have a version that should be installed in the casing, I use one that is installed outside the casing but it has to be the first thing on the line, before the pressure tank, pressure switch, etc.

I put CSV's on all well systems, even when they're designed for the pump flow. It's cheap insurance.

Jim, the CSV isn't what leaks, it's the pressure relief on the well. They do have a version that should be installed in the casing, I use one that is installed outside the casing but it has to be the first thing on the line, before the pressure tank, pressure switch, etc.

I put CSV's on all well systems, even when they're designed for the pump flow. It's cheap insurance.
The round plastic ones leaks a bit of water and that's the reason they're meant to be installed inside the casing.

I've installed a (few) of the ones I pictured and a (few) of the psidekicks. Other than the (few) I've installed I don't see a lot of them. I recommended one be installed last Thursday on a well when I was doing a leak detection/repair at this pretty lady's house.

I've never seen any of the brass or bronze valves cause pressure pop offs and I've installed a (few) of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, they create some back pressure on the pump that will vent out the release valve. It will dump a fair amount of water so you want to put it somewhere that can handle it or you'll end up with a lot of standing water. It can be a pain to find a good spot to drain it to but it is less of a pain than replacing a well pump.
Why do you have the relief plumed in between the csv and the pump? Pretty sure the manufacturer doesn't recommend that. This is from their site

Posted via Mobile Device

I don't, the well installers do. The relief is on top of the down pipe where that galvanized thread cap is in your picture. I'm not going to move it and risk burning up a pump, I figure the well guys put it there for a reason and if it's draining water, it's probably supposed to.

I don't, the well installers do. The relief is on top of the down pipe where that galvanized thread cap is in your picture. I'm not going to move it and risk burning up a pump, I figure the well guys put it there for a reason and if it's draining water, it's probably supposed to.
Think about it for a minute.

The relief valve is installed first, before the cycle stop valve and you posted earlier that
I use one that is installed outside the casing but it has to be the first thing on the line, before the pressure tank, pressure switch, etc.
So aren't you defeating the purpose of the valve?

I mean, I know it's working for you but it's prolly not working at it's best performance level.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jim, I've left them because I believe the CSV is building back pressure on the pump by preventing the tank from getting above the pressure switch cutout point. Those relief valves are set pretty high and I'm concerned that if I remove or plug one, I'll come close to deadheading the pump and cause big problems. If the guy responsible for the well says it's OK to remove it or put it further down the line, I'll do it but I want him to be responsible for any damage, not me. They would be easy to plug or remove, I'm just not willing to risk it. I'd rather deal with some water than the fallout of a dead pump, especially since all of my well systems are on residential properties where the well is also supplying the house water.

I think of it like the air inlet valve for a PVB, if it's venting water, there's probably a good reason for it and you probably want it to be able to do so.

Jim, I've left them because I believe the CSV is building back pressure on the pump by preventing the tank from getting above the pressure switch cutout point. Those relief valves are set pretty high and I'm concerned that if I remove or plug one, I'll come close to deadheading the pump and cause big problems. If the guy responsible for the well says it's OK to remove it or put it further down the line, I'll do it but I want him to be responsible for any damage, not me. They would be easy to plug or remove, I'm just not willing to risk it. I'd rather deal with some water than the fallout of a dead pump, especially since all of my well systems are on residential properties where the well is also supplying the house water.

I think of it like the air inlet valve for a PVB, if it's venting water, there's probably a good reason for it and you probably want it to be able to do so.
I see your concerns Bernie and you know darn well what I think of your professionalism and intelliect.

I would contact csv and talk to Cary about the issue and the concerns you have though, something just doesn't sound right.
Posted via Mobile Device

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.