Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts
Talked to rob at cycle stop just a minute ago Bernie. He said that he'd be happy to explain why the pressure relief valve was placed at the well head and why it should be relocated downstream of the valve.

When you call, ask him how he likes his new F-350. It's a funny story. :waving: 1 (800) 652-0207
Posted via Mobile Device

You're not using the full capacity of that pump, you should know how many GPM you're getting and at what pressure and plan the zones accordingly (or renozzle them).

As a quick fix, install a cycle stop valve - http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/prod_csv125.html - and it will stop the pump from short cycling. It will vent water from the pressure relief so if the well is in a pump house, you're going to need to plumb that to drain outside.
I second this. A cycle stop valve is a Fantastic addition to any system. It will prevent the cycling. I have installed into several so far and they work very well.

Perhaps Mr. Mod Mike was correct in moving this thread: things are getting complicated without any of us knowing what's going on with the well. My limited experience tells me the well was not done right and the zones prolly were too large. I'd still be getting a pump test by someone different than the installer.

On the same zone on which the OP nozzled down by half GPM,
suppose he nozzles down by half one more time, bringing the zone gpm to 1/4 of the original gpm,
if: this broght the cycle to two minutes.....would this point more strongly toward an insufficent replentishment flow of water source?

(i have no idea what we are talking about I am just gambling/trying to learn)

If the pump is short cycling, he doesn't need to use less water, he needs to use more. It's short cycling because the pump is rebuilding pressure in the tank faster than the zone is depleting it. The way to solve that is to combine zones to increase flow, re-nozzle existing zones for increased flow or install a cycle stop. I suggested a cycle stop because I haven't seen the system so it's the only solution I can safely offer without knowing what we're dealing with.

I'm thinking a new pressure switch might have been included in the motor-replacement job, and it needs to be adjusted upwards. A well this deep might be low producing, leaving them little choice but to run, then rest, while the water level recovers.

what ISSSSSS short cycling (in reference to pumps)?

secondly

I searched it on google and one forum kept saying the cause of it is, over sized equipment, over size equipment, but imagine how I , the simpleton, tried to consider that:

perhaps they mean:
1. the motor is too big for the pump.
2. the pump is too big for the motor.
3. the nozzles are too big for the capabilitys of the pump and motor.
4. the capabilities of the pump and motor are too big for the GPM restriction of the nozzles.

what ISSSSSS short cycling (in reference to pumps)?

secondly

I searched it on google and one forum kept saying the cause of it is, over sized equipment, over size equipment, but imagine how I , the simpleton, tried to consider that:

perhaps they mean:
1. the motor is too big for the pump.
2. the pump is too big for the motor.
3. the nozzles are too big for the capabilitys of the pump and motor.
4. the capabilities of the pump and motor are too big for the GPM restriction of the nozzles.
Think of supply vs demand Rhett.
Posted via Mobile Device

exactly!
which one is winning the match?
In this case, Supply is more than Demand.

A Cycle stop vavle will solve this short cycling problem by MATCHING supply to the demand in a stable way, as opposed to the current way which doesn't have the ability to STABILIZE it.

This is what that cycle stop valve will do. It will stabilize the supply with the demand, while satisfying the needs of both... ie, the pump "needs" flow to remain cool, while the zones "need" pressure to operate correctly.

Cycle stop valve. I sound like a shill for them but IT WORKS, and it works fantastically great.

I had a drip zone that would run causing the pump to cycle. I was told "add a couple of spray heads until it stops" but that's silly, because now the spray heads OVERSPRAY and puddle because the drip zone needs to run for minimum 30 minutes. Prior to the csv, the pump would cycle about 10 or 11 times, but now it runs continuously, which is what we want, until the drip zone finishes and the pump (eventually) turns off after its built up pressure to turn off the pressure switch.

Cycle stop valve. It'll work fantastically great for this situation. (ALL) Homeowner, you should install this if you have a wellpump/pressure switch setup.

It isn't like the house needs higher pressure than the sprinkler system.

I'm not touting the CSV for now, because there is some presumption that the sprinkler system and well coexisted without any CSV in past years. The pressure switch settings need looked at, because they alone might stop any cycling, if they are adjusted higher.

I have a similar problem with a system. It is a 1/3 of an acre property with a 4000 square foot house on it. They have a 1.5 sub that makes about 30 gpm. None of the zones can be built big enough to keep the pump on. I am going to have the well guy pull the pump and install a CSV down the hole.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.