Well to Storage Tank Shut Off

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by txirrigation, Oct 10, 2011.

  1. Mike Leary

    Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 22,923

    I like air gaps, but I seem to recall you're not a fan of on-demand pumping systems?
  2. bcg

    bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx
    Messages: 1,865

    Of course you can use float valves, one for each tank. Not a float SWITCH, a float VALVE. I have a customer with 4 water features all fed from the same well and all of them have float valves installed to keep them full. Works perfectly. You're making this way harder than it needs to be.
  3. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 49,794

    If you don't have a float switch/valve, then you would have a pressure transducer/sensor ~ a means of electrically 'knowing' when the irrigation storage is filled

    a pressure-sustaining valve upstream of the tank might cover your needs - with an air break, you don't need any other isolation for the sprinkler system
  4. Kiril

    Kiril LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 18,315

    Why do you need one? What is wrong with using an actuated ball valve?
  5. txirrigation

    txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas
    Messages: 977

    How reliable are the float valves? I know what they are, but I woud rather something fail closed than open. A solenoid would fail closed and a float valve would fail open much like a leaking toilet.
  6. bcg

    bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx
    Messages: 1,865

    I've had them in service outdoors for years and haven't had any problems with them. Everything needs maintenance periodically though, check it every once in a while, re-adjust as needed and you should be fine.
  7. stebs

    stebs LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 485

    Maybe put float valves in both tanks, then put a pressure switch on the line feeding the float valves? That way, if they are both closed, pump shuts down. If one opens, pump starts up.
  8. Sprinkus

    Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,270

    R-Co makes them. Longhorn, Sheeping, or any other major supplier should carry them.
    The ones I use work on Irritrol valves.
  9. 1idejim

    1idejim LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 10,758

    :):):):)..........i agree
  10. Sprinkus

    Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,270

Share This Page