Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 60" zeros are too large for most of the stuff that we do, and after inspecting several lawns, we are simply tearing them up to much turning, navigating tricky slopes/hills, and other things.

Large culverts and ditches going into the new neighborhoods are popping up everywhere where I'm at and I need something that can turn better without tearing turf. Long gone are the days when we got flat, wide open lawns.

Are scag V-rides good? My crewleader who came from a commercial landscape company highly recommended them for our current lawns.

What is a good stander that'll not rip turf and maintain great tractions on slopes provided I have a proficient operator? Scag and John Deere are close to me, but I'll travel if needs be.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
JD M and R series quiktrak standers are the equivalent of Wright Stander I and Stander X machines. Then theres the ZK seeies which is the big boy on the block with huge engine options. The problem with both is their aerocore decks are not ideal in cool season grasses when grass is wet. They start throwing clumps. In drier weather they cut very well. I have a 636m to get into small backyards.

So my vote would be to go with Scag which I believe has their big boy ztr decks on them.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Depending on what and how many your buying, there can be big savings with fleet discounts. To the point, where flipping the fleet might be worth the conversation.

say the dealer gives you 25 cents on the dollar for your old equipment. And a fleet discount is 15-25% off. You might not be as fare as you think.

·
Registered
9,705 Posts
Gravely price point if your are shopping price and don’t care for the Porsche is going to be a better bet just saying, probably in the $8k to $9k. May be a bit more as that was about a year ago I saw prices.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What brand are you running now? Are you happy with the equipment? Is you dealer good? That's what you need to consider. If your current brand has served you well with good dealer support that answers your question.

·
Registered
7,041 Posts
I notice less damage with the stander, but still some on wet lawns. It took some time to get use to it, but it is also is easier on my 69 year old body, though I've fallen off a few times.

·
Registered
19,226 Posts
Switching to standers is not necessarily going to solve the tear out problem. Most tear out issues come from operator error, aka maneuvering too quickly. Sanders will tear out as well. Are you sure this isn't more of the issue than the mower size?

Are you considering going to smaller decks?

What is the average size lot you are cutting?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased my first stand on this yr. I've always ran walk behinds. I bought a Ferris Z3X, it is a 61" which works ok for most my lawns. It is a grass cutting machine. I got a 37 hp Vanguard. I love the oil system. Does a good job in wet grass. Goes up and down steep banks pretty good. Still get some slippage going side ways on steep banks. Pretty comfortable for all day mowing. I would buy another one for sure. This unit has cut my time down each day noticeably You really need to get on one before you buy. I tried out a new Ferris zero turn and the stand on the same day. I was more impressed with the stand on. I knew it would be more efficient for my mowing. Good Luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The stand on machine allows you to get more hp and deck in tighter spaces. I have been running a 37 horse v-ride 2 with the velocity plus deck and wouldn't change it for the world. Have a buddy who picked up a z3x like the poster above and loves it too. The decks are different, velocity deck prob the best hi volume thick grass deck you'll find on the market on a stander (7-iron not available on stander because wright makes the JD stander). The Ferris deck is tighter keeps the clipping sizes smaller.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I own both the Scag Vride2 and the Ferris Z2. Both are great machines and both produce a great cut. I have the 37 Briggs on the Scag and the 26? Kawi on the Ferris. I think the ergos on the Ferris are slightly better. The Scag may have a leg up in wetter conditions. It's a toss up.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Switching to standers is not necessarily going to solve the tear out problem. Most tear out issues come from operator error, aka maneuvering too quickly. Sanders will tear out as well. Are you sure this isn't more of the issue than the mower size?

Are you considering going to smaller decks?

What is the average size lot you are cutting?
I tear way less on the stander (my 61 has the same size tires as my cheetahs did). Maybe in part because the weight is in front of the rear tires? My tires will definitely spin without tearing if I operate one by itself in pretty much every situation. I don’t disagree with tearing being from operator error in most situations on a ztr. Perhaps the better way to say it is the v-ride is more forgiving? Idk. Just thinking out loud.

But I don’t tear at all on the v ride. I tore a lot more on my Ferris ztr and my Scag ztrs

·
Registered
951 Posts
Ferris has a nice feature where if you let off the stick to a complete neutral state, that wheel will freewheel. It works great when going around things. You can let the inside wheel freewheel and it helps to avoid tearing up the turf.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts