Lawn Care Forum banner
3,001 - 3,020 of 4,090 Posts
Rain.
It's VERY unusual for me to lose an entire day to rain. Today sucked - I got nothing done.

I was already 4 cuts behind going into Friday.
Now I have to do them all over the weekend and I have an event tomorrow that will require me to be home by around 2:30 so there's NO way I'll get all done on Sat.
This will make two Sundays in a row I will have to work after never working a Sunday before.

Rain.
It's VERY unusual for me to lose an entire day to rain. Today sucked - I got nothing done.

I was already 4 cuts behind going into Friday.
Now I have to do them all over the weekend and I have an event tomorrow that will require me to be home by around 2:30 so there's NO way I'll get all done on Sat.
This will make two Sundays in a row I will have to work after never working a Sunday before.
payup

I'm trying REALLY hard not to complain about the rain, but c'mon...

Can't get hedges cut because all I get done doing is mowing grass to get caught up when I have any free time. I'm finding myself skipping cuts on certain lawns simply to allow me to get more important ones cut.
So I'm losing money due to skipped cuts and I'm losing money because I can't get any extras done, and my mowers are breaking down, and I'm just getting very disgusted.

The 30" has been down all season - I just never took it in for repairs because I'm torn on spending more money on it vs buying a replacement.

On Monday I noted hydro fluid on the trailer floor under my 36" Ferris. Great. It's dripping out pretty good.
I found the source although I don't know what it's called. There's a "seal" on the side that looks like it got twisted out of position - instead of being flat, it's at a slight angle. Not sure if I caught something on a curb and knocked it out of place or what, but I gotta get it in to be repaired.

That leaves me with a 21" Toro SR4 - which just started making grinding noises in the rear wheel! BEAUTIFUL!!!

When it rains, it pours! Literally and figuratively!

Ugh the rain they are saying is in again off again all day today. We are have the same issues with our big machines. The guy that fixes our big mowers is out of town till the 11 of this month. Can anyone suggest a shop over here near Penn Hills? I look at the books and some say with rain comes Job security. I disagree those weeks we got three or more rain days only hurts us and then we have to pay for more employees to get us caught up. I did notice the grass is slowing just a LITTLE bit. Oh well off to work we go.

Now THERE'S a motivational mental image!
Could have used that mid day. LOL!
All worn out now. Don't even wanna get out of the truck.
Think I'll just sleep right here in the driveway...

Not working tomorrow. Screw it.

I worked until nearly 8pm yesterday.
It was horribly hot and humid and I wanted to just push a few to today, but the forecast went from "iffy" to 300% chance of rain all day, so I trudged on and got them all done yesterday.

If it hadn't rained today I think I could have gotten caught up.
I'll probably have to go out tomorrow now instead making it the fourth Sunday I've worked this season. (I've never had to work on Sunday before)

Anyone else seeing their lawns "rise"?

Earthworms! I have several lawns with worm castings piling up so much that when I mow, I'm actually scalping the grass because the worm poop has raised the "ground" up so high.

Lumpy and bumpy now and it took a few weeks before I realized what was going on. I was mowing after a rain one day and there were earthworms EVERYWHERE in this one section of a lawn - the lumpy section. Yep, earthworm castings. I can't imagine how many worms must be in that section for it to have such an effect on the lawn.

I suspect the never-ending rain has something to do with it, but I'm not an earthworm expert, so I don't know.

Anyone else seeing their lawns "rise"?

Earthworms! I have several lawns with worm castings piling up so much that when I mow, I'm actually scalping the grass because the worm poop has raised the "ground" up so high.

Lumpy and bumpy now and it took a few weeks before I realized what was going on. I was mowing after a rain one day and there were earthworms EVERYWHERE in this one section of a lawn - the lumpy section. Yep, earthworm castings. I can't imagine how many worms must be in that section for it to have such an effect on the lawn.

I suspect the never-ending rain has something to do with it, but I'm not an earthworm expert, so I don't know.
Free lawn aeration and their casings are a top organic amendment:cool2:

3,001 - 3,020 of 4,090 Posts