Lawn Care Forum banner
3,081 - 3,100 of 4,090 Posts
For you local Toro guys who use Super Recyclers as trim mowers:

Toro has introduced a stupid "Iso-Flex" handle on a bunch of the Personal Pace equipped mowers - including my favorite SR4 mowers. (SO FAR I don't think it's on the model with the Honda engine)
I was looking for a cheap mower and decided I'd get the Super Recycler withe the "Toro" engine to save a few bucks over the Honda engine model. That's when I saw the Iso-Flex crap.

Instead of the locking pins popping into one of the two holes to adjust the handle angle, it now rides in a "slot" that allows the handle to move about an inch and a half forward and back, and it rests on a "squishy" rubber bumper. I'm sure it takes some shock out of the handle, but really, I've been using these mowers for almost ten years and have never found vibration or "jarring" to be an issue.

What IS and issue now is that when you get to the end of a run and press down to spin around, instead of the mower immediately pivoting when you push down on the handle, you have to "bottom out" on the squishy bumper before the mower tilts to turn around.
It's not the end of the world, but it DOES make instant turns take a little more time to do.
I don't like it at all.

I found one at my dealer that's a leftover from last season that has the standard handle in use for years and years. I'm going to get it before I'm stuck having to settle for Toro's "improved" handle.

For you local Toro guys who use Super Recyclers as trim mowers:

Toro has introduced a stupid "Iso-Flex" handle on a bunch of the Personal Pace equipped mowers - including my favorite SR4 mowers. (SO FAR I don't think it's on the model with the Honda engine)
I was looking for a cheap mower and decided I'd get the Super Recycler withe the "Toro" engine to save a few bucks over the Honda engine model. That's when I saw the Iso-Flex crap.

Instead of the locking pins popping into one of the two holes to adjust the handle angle, it now rides in a "slot" that allows the handle to move about an inch and a half forward and back, and it rests on a "squishy" rubber bumper. I'm sure it takes some shock out of the handle, but really, I've been using these mowers for almost ten years and have never found vibration or "jarring" to be an issue.

What IS and issue now is that when you get to the end of a run and press down to spin around, instead of the mower immediately pivoting when you push down on the handle, you have to "bottom out" on the squishy bumper before the mower tilts to turn around.
It's not the end of the world, but it DOES make instant turns take a little more time to do.
I don't like it at all.

I found one at my dealer that's a leftover from last season that has the standard handle in use for years and years. I'm going to get it before I'm stuck having to settle for Toro's "improved" handle.

Zip tie that handle until it is rigid.

Zip tie that handle until it is rigid.
LOL!

You can't. And even if you could, it would defeat the ability to fold the handle into the upright/vertical storage position.

One reason I stick with the Super Recycler is because of that option.
When I put my 36" walk behind in the trailer, I roll the SR4 right up behind it, flip the handle upright, and close the gate - it just fits. The mower would have to go in sideways with a typical mower handle that stays extended in the mowing position.
I like my way better. (and these mowers really are pretty nice for the money)

By the way, it's also about the only decent quality mower left that allows side discharging. I even looked at Hondas, and none of them can side discharge.
I'm not talking about the crappy Recyclers sold at Home Depot. The Super Recycler has an aluminum deck and heavier wheel assemblies with grease fittings - it's a much better mower than a Recycler.
Even the commercial mowers have done away with the ability to side discharge. Must be nice to not need to have options.

OakNut, I had several Super Recyclers and thought they were good units and did a good job though the Hondas seemed to leave a bit crisper cut. Do they come with a mulching/gator blade now?
I don't think so. I tipped one over today to see if the underside of the deck remained unchanged and I think it had the standard blade without "notches" - same as the one I started out with about 8 years ago.
I bought a second one about 5 years ago - identical except it has the Honda engine. (my first one has a Briggs)

The one I'm looking at is the $499 ($50 off) model that has the Chinese "Toro" engine. The model with the Honda engine is $549. ($50 off)
I'm not sure which to get. The rational part of my brain sez "pay the extra $50 for the Honda engine", but the realistic side sez, "you're broke and can't even afford the $499 mower!" LOL

I really wasn't all that impressed with the Honda engine and preferred the mower with the Briggs to it.
I'll probably flip a coin. :)

I know everyone raves about Honda mowers in general, but every one I looked at feels awkward and heavy, whereas the Toro is very light and ROLLS WITH EASE as opposed to having that "dragging" feeling with a Honda - like the wheels aren't rolling freely due to the self propel mechanism.
Screw that - I want EASY. I like that I can "one hand" my SR4 back and forth whether it's running or not - it's just a much simpler unit all around.
Then there's the lack of side discharge on Honda. I don't side discharge often, but sometimes I have no choice and for that reason, Honda is "out".

I ended up getting the mower with the Honda engine.
I called the service guys and asked for their thoughts on the two engines and decided to spend the extra $50 for the Honda powered mower.

Got three of the Super Recyclers now. Running out of room.
Gonna need to build a "bunk" so I can store one mower over another one in my garage! LOL!

I was looking forward to starting my season tomorrow.

200% chance of soaking rain all day - then snow on Tuesday.

LOL!!!
Well, it's Tuesday - and there's about an inch of snow out there - and it's still snowing.
o_O

They said the roads were too warm for it to stick, yet there's snow on the road as well.

Do I just raise the deck and cut the tips off the grass that's sticking out above the snow?
:p

Well, it's Tuesday - and there's about an inch of snow out there - and it's still snowing.
o_O

They said the roads were too warm for it to stick, yet there's snow on the road as well.

Do I just raise the deck and cut the tips off the grass that's sticking out above the snow?
:p
I am oot here mowing. Just use the blower first an clear the snow off of lawns, then get to work.

Was able to get 2 days of mowing in this week, Wednesday and today. Hopefully a better week next week!
Same here. Snow one day - Rain the next. I also cut all my yards short on the last cut of the year and made sure we managed to get them all cut before the weather turned.

Some yards need cut others can wait till next week. Seems like all the nicer fertilized yards needed done this week. Looks like I'm going to be out there mowing Sunday :(

Same here. Snow one day - Rain the next. I also cut all my yards short on the last cut of the year and made sure we managed to get them all cut before the weather turned.

Some yards need cut others can wait till next week. Seems like all the nicer fertilized yards needed done this week. Looks like I'm going to be out there mowing Sunday :(
I thought about mowing all weekend to get a first cut on everything. But I hate to get so off schedule this early on. I typically mow on a Monday- Thursday schedule so that would throw me all off. I think people are pretty understanding when they saw how the weather was this week. Forecast looks promising though.

Hey guys,
Got a customer that wants a very steep hill mowed down. It's currently infested with jaggers and the such. I was hoping to rent a mini excavator with a brush hog attachment but I can't find any rental places that carry those. They only carry them for skid steers, not mini's. Does anyone have any ideas on places in Pittsburgh? I'm in Steubenville so I'm about 40 minutes west of Pittsburgh. I've called every place around Steubenville.
Any ideas?

Any ideas?
I don't know your area but if there is a best line equipment near you they can transfer a mini x from another location if they don't already have one on site. If all else fails get a goat :D

On another note, I sure hope you all are having a better year than me. Just can't manage to get caught up.

I don't know your area but if there is a best line equipment near you they can transfer a mini x from another location if they don't already have one on site. If all else fails get a goat :D

On another note, I sure hope you all are having a better year than me. Just can't manage to get caught up.
Thanks Jim, I called them and they do not. They only offer it on a skid steer.

3,081 - 3,100 of 4,090 Posts