Lawn Care Forum banner
321 - 340 of 4,090 Posts
That makes me feel better that I am in the range. I am actually getting the mulch at a REALLY good price dyed (like $10 less than the contractor price) so my profit is actually a little higher than it would seem. But after calculations as if I was buying it from APLS I would be around the $75 mark as well. Thanks!
Good to hear you're getting a steal on your mulch, wish I could find some place that would do that for me! Good luck on the bid, that's a big one... bigger than any that I've ever done.

I've always done about $100/yard, but I've never done more than 6 yards at a time.

I'm also out of business, so apparently I wasn't doing something right! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Kinda depends on if there's tons of edging, lots of plants to mulch around (hand tossing), hills... etc... lots of different factors. Charge more for the more difficult ones and less for the easy ones!

Yeah I really enjoy reading this. Nice job Tim! Yeah he was there for a bit today I believe. I am working on a bid for a pretty large mulch job, actually the largest I have done with my own company (26 yards) and wanted to see if any of you guys had input on what the going rate per yard installed was. After doing some calculations I could do it between 60-70 per yard installed plus edging and bed prepping and make decent money still. does that seem in our areas price lines? I am bidding against 2 other people and the person with the best mulch price will also get the mowing contract for the year since we all bid the same for mowing. This is an important one for me to get because it could open up a whole new very wealthy neighborhood area.
thats what I am about. but it all depends if its on a hill and how much wheel barreling needs done etc but that is average.

I managed to get fully caught up, and even had time this evening to mow another one for a man whose rear tire on his tractor went flat. It was a good work day, even though the morning started out with pretty wet turf.

Monday does not sound like a good weather day, ... but we've had inaccurate forecasts before.

I managed to get fully caught up, and even had time this evening to mow another one for a man whose rear tire on his tractor went flat. It was a good work day, even though the morning started out with pretty wet turf.

Monday does not sound like a good weather day, ... but we've had inaccurate forecasts before.
Absolutely, let's hope they're wrong, need all the good weather days I can get for a month at least!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Posted via Mobile Device

Absolutely, let's hope they're wrong, need all the good weather days I can get for a month at least!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Posted via Mobile Device
I know right?? I have all of may booked

Yeah I'm probably into mid to late June already, each rainy day pushes it farther back! More sunny days please!
Posted via Mobile Device
ya I know if I dont get any jobs which I know I will did 3 estimates today alone, I will still have june booked because of hedge trimming, alot will need done then

I cant believe how busy I have been this year. I have picked up 4 new yards and keep getting asked for estimates. I lost the big mulch job I bid. I bid it at $2200 for 26 yards of mulch and edging and the other bids were $1700 and $2700. Needless to say the $1700 one won but the homeowner only wanted to pay $1100. Oh well, on to the next one!

I cant believe how busy I have been this year. I have picked up 4 new yards and keep getting asked for estimates. I lost the big mulch job I bid. I bid it at $2200 for 26 yards of mulch and edging and the other bids were $1700 and $2700. Needless to say the $1700 one won but the homeowner only wanted to pay $1100. Oh well, on to the next one!
Eh you don't want those types of people anyway... $1100 to do 26 yards of mulch? That barely covers the mulch cost! I'd say even $1700 is low!

Eh you don't want those types of people anyway... $1100 to do 26 yards of mulch? That barely covers the mulch cost! I'd say even $1700 is low!
yeah i couldnt believe thats how much she wanted to pay. And the 1700 was very little profit to the point of where it wouldnt be worth doing. I guess when you live in a 1,000,000 + house in North Park you have to be cheap.

yeah i couldnt believe thats how much she wanted to pay. And the 1700 was very little profit to the point of where it wouldnt be worth doing. I guess when you live in a 1,000,000 + house in North Park you have to be cheap.
Yep, I have a house on Olde Villa Drive off of Babcock, they're pretty cheap. Don't really want to spend more than they have to!

Yep, I have a house on Olde Villa Drive off of Babcock, they're pretty cheap. Don't really want to spend more than they have to!
I have a few customers like that but most of them just have me do work and are fine paying what ever I ask them for. I am always leery of doing this though. And speaking of Babcock, I had a bin fly out of my truck after it was improperly secured after leaving a yard. It luckily bounced into a parking lot off of babcock and not into oncoming traffic. It gave me the worst scare of my life! Needless to say I triple checked EVERYTHING before leaving each yard. That was always my worst fear and it happened.

I have a few customers like that but most of them just have me do work and are fine paying what ever I ask them for. I am always leery of doing this though. And speaking of Babcock, I had a bin fly out of my truck after it was improperly secured after leaving a yard. It luckily bounced into a parking lot off of babcock and not into oncoming traffic. It gave me the worst scare of my life! Needless to say I triple checked EVERYTHING before leaving each yard. That was always my worst fear and it happened.
Oh I hear you man, some clients will complain about $1 extra for something and others don't care what it costs, just do it!

I've had barrels fly off my truck at my old job in NY on the highway at least a handful of times - it's really not fun... I make sure everything is good to go before taking off, definitely my worst fear.

ehh it happens, I have lost a barrel or 2 before I worry about them on the highways and usually have to stay under 50.

ehh it happens, I have lost a barrel or 2 before I worry about them on the highways and usually have to stay under 50.
Yeah it was my first time and probably wont be my last but it sure was scary!

Getting rained out is starting to become a regular thing around these parts. Looks like I will be running a day behind this week also. I have a large new account that I got a couple days ago, but I can't get to it with all of this rain. It has some drainage issues and will require a couple of dry days in a row for it to be cut with a larger mower.

321 - 340 of 4,090 Posts