1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Western PA Landscapers!

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 93Chevy, Feb 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Look at Kohler Confidant. Relatively inexpensive with a good warranty.

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks. One person on the phone made that suggestion. I don't need something with longevity. I am only using the machine about 350 hours per year, 10-12 hours per week of operation. Solo here, and two other mowers to run as well.

There seems to be uncertainty on bolt hole pattern. In looking at specs, both my existing engine, and any new ones, there is no information on bolt hole pattern. Some are sure a new engine will fit up fine, others say holes on the engine deck will need to be redrilled.

sjessen likes this.
  3. sjessen

Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Have you tried sources such as Jack's Small Engines? They should be able to cross-reference a compatible engine for you.

hort101 likes this.
  4. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I could be interested if you still have it for sale. What brand is it, what year is "kinda like new"? Of course the important question is how much are you asking for it?

While we are talking about trailers for sale I have a 2013 Nomanco 5' x 10', 3500 GVW trailer I am going to stick on CraigsList when I get back from the Louisville show. I paid over $ 1,000.00 for it and looking for $ 350.00. It doesn't have a ramp on it but I do have a ramp that can go with it but would need the parts added to the trailer to attach it.

5. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Speaking of "ramps"...

I left a job today and as I always do, I looked in my mirror at the spot I had just pulled out from - it's a habit I started after leaving my orange cone behind a few times.

What I USUALLY see is... nothing.
    What I saw TODAY was... my push mower sitting on the street near the curb! LOL!
    Another quick scan revealed that my ramp was still down and dragging on the street!

I had gone about 200 feet at that point and I was surprised that I didn't hear the ramp dragging. I hopped out, flipped the ramp up and drove around the block, and snuck back into the spot I had been in. As I pulled back along the curb, I passed a lady walking her dog.
    "Now THAT is embarrassing", I said to her. "I left without my mower!"

Holy crap. First I've ever done that. I changed up my loading routine and that's what happened. I usually load the mowers before I trim and this time I trimmed and blew off the walk, tossed the blower in the bed of the truck, and sat in my truck a few minutes checking emails before driving off with the ramp still down and my mower sitting all by itself!

Ooops. :hammerhead:

Roger, hort101 and sjessen like this.
  6. sjessen

Male, from Knoxville, Tn

You are getting old!!!

OakNut likes this.
  7. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Sure does FEEL that way. LOL!

sjessen likes this.
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I did talk with them. They suggested the Kohler Confidant(?) replacement, but I think it is 21hp.. That is a big jump from 15hp. '

I also talked with Small Engine Warehouse, Tusla Small engines. But, I did lot of online searches. It seems clear a one-for-one replacement, or even short-block, isn't going to happen.

I've learned some new things in the past day that may change my thinking. If it matures, I will share.

sjessen likes this.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

As I said in my last post on this topic, other ideas were maturing with regard to the Exmark/Kohler issue. In some PMs with others on LS, the suggestion was made to look closely what was in the combustion chamber - it may be gasoline, not oil.

It hydrolocked again, and I pulled the spark plug. Yes, it was gas, not oil! To diagnose more thoroughly, I began to close off the valve coming from the fuel tank. The gas may be passing the needle valve in the carb, allowing the gas to flow into the combustion chamber. This exercised proved the assertion to be correct.

After sitting for awhile, or overnight, with the valve closed (turning it open when ready to fire) the engine started first pull, with hardly no smoke. Likewise, when I am out working, job to job, if I close the valve on shutdown, then reopen before pulling the starter cord, it fires on first pull.

Yes, it still burns some oil when in operation because of the high-hour status. However, the primary problem with bad starts, hydrolocking, etc. has been solved with the closing/opening of the valve in the supply line. New engine to finish out the season -- NOT NEEDED! Yea!

I have ordered a carb rebuilt kit that includes new needle valves and new seats. The kit is not yet arrived, so have not done the rebuild.

I wanted to let all know what has happened, and my first assessment was not right. Another sharp-minded person, with more experience in these matters, did much better. If anybody else has a similar problem, this is an easy way to diagnose.

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  10. Imakamoze

Imakamoze LawnSite Member

Any of you guys still selling trailers? I'm trying to piece together a lawn care setup so I can start next year here in Bethel.