1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Western PA Landscapers!

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 93Chevy, Feb 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Free Landscaping boulders
    Just in case anyone is interested I have two large boulders that may work great for someone's landscaping project. These are free as long as you can load and haul them. They are about 4 feet by 5 feet by 18-20 inches and are located where they would be easy to load. I would just like to get rid of them to make mowing easier. I know these can be fairly expensive if you need to buy them but I just want to get rid of them. They are located In Beaver Falls. If you are interested let me know

Rock1.jpg

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Update: A man in the neighborhood who has some engine experience came by to try to help yesterday. He did the same crankcase gasket replacement on a 22hp B & S last October.

We moved the control plate in the slots to a different position. The engine started and idled pretty well. But the throttle didn't respond right - slow in response. We tried to get the plate positioned properly. After a couple of starts/run/stop cycles, the engine would not start. Also,the governor shaft had no rotational play. I am sure it take some freedom earlier. His B & S was sitting in the driveway (drove the tractor to my place), and we checked - yes, the governor arm had about 1/2" travel at the end (wire control direct from governor arm to throttle on carb). I have a 17.5 hp B & S on my w/b, and, yes, the governor arm has some travel at the end.

The revelation of no rotational freedom tells me that the problem is internal. Some of you suggested this to be the case, and you are apparently right.

I see two choices - get a new gasket, remove engine, split, and try to determine what I did wrong in assembly. My hope would be nothing on the inside was damaged from the brief running stints. I checked the oil on the dipstick and find no filings. My optimism for success second time around is not high. Or, second, try to buy a short block and get a working engine with my existing externals. This would eliminate me trying to get the internals properly positioned. Yes, I would need to set the governor arm, but on a governor rod that I know is properly assemble internally.

I am unsure my path to follow. I would think any dealer would have a gasket in stock - these are common engines. My replacement was part of a larger online order. I do think I would be mistaken to attempt to reuse the gasket I put in a few days ago, with a sealant.

I may go to a dealer and buy a new mower on Monday, get to work, and go back to this machine as time permits. Laying out $10K for a new mower as a replacement is a HUGE hit - probably going into my last season. I also may try to get a good 48"w/b with sulky and forget the sitting part. At 77, my body has been beat up pretty good for the last 24 seasons. I have all my other equipment ready to work.

Thanks for the feedback.

Walker56, sjessen and hort101 like this.
  3. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

Why dont you split the case to see what, if any damage their may be. It wont take you that long. This way you can make a better informed decision as to how to proceed. I feel bad that I could not assist you more but Lawnsite has not perfected a crystal ball to see what is happening from afar. You can do this.

Graverunner68, hort101 and sjessen like this.
  4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I picked a great day to start my mowing season. 34 degrees with rain and what I'm pretty sure is snow mixed in. High winds and a wind chill in the mid 20s.
    Heavy storm rolled through last night and it rained lightly all night - everything soaked. Expecting more showers soon and not clear until 2pm - I gotta be home by 5pm to go somewhere at 6pm.
    The dogs are curled up tight in their blankets as I try to determine if it would make more sense to go out tomorrow instead.
    I think the dogs have the right idea.

JMK26, sjessen, hort101 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for your objective perspective. Your idea is a good one, that I think I will follow. I am not sure about today - the weather may determine if I can work on it today.

hort101 likes this.
  6. OakNut

Roger, I have my fingers crossed for you.
    I had to say some prayers and shake a chicken's foot before I started my stuff this spring, hoping everything still worked. So far, only my handheld blower won't run, but that was giving me trouble in the fall. My fault for not addressing it over the winter. I do have a cordless hand held blower if I need it though.

Well, the 30" Toro is still out of commission. Having a hard time spending money to fix it. I should just buy a new one and fix it as time/money allows. I noticed that by not using it last season, my jobs took longer and I worked harder, so maybe I just need to accept the fact that I need to spend the money on a new one. You've certainly got some years on me, but even at 51, I notice I don't have it in me like I did a few years ago, so spending money to ease my work effort probably makes sense.

Been a rough spring. Wife had shoulder surgery a few weeks ago and one of the dogs had surgery the day after the wife did. I've been able to be home to take care of them though, so I count my blessings - a few weeks later and I'd have been working with nobody else to help out.
    Sorry, sort of rambling now... just try to stay positive, I guess!

Roger, JMK26, Bumpmaster and 4 others like this.
  7. OakNut

Man, it felt good to finally start mowing lawns today!!!

JMK26 and sjessen like this.
  8. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

:confused:Been oot for a week my man!

9. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Picken up what you throwin down son.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Update: Success, I think.

I started this morning from scratch. I pulled out the engine (it does go quicker the second time, when you know what to do), and got it on the bench. I did not take off the blower housing and flywheel. This saved lots of time on both ends.

I split it and quickly discovered what we all thought - governor U-flag was not in the right place. I have no idea how I got it screwed up. As stated in the other post, the governor rod was locked. That was because it was flipped over, and wedged against the cover housing.

The gasket was in good condition, albeit oily. I cleaned it off, looking for any compromising problems. I called six dealers - none of them had a gasket in stock. The John Deere dealer said "we have never sold one." A couple of others were surprised I was looking for one. So, ... not having a new one, and wanting to finish this job, I used the one I installed the other day.

Bolts were torqued down, control plate installed, governor arm installed. I also mounted the hydro pulley and electric clutch when upside down. The hole in the deck is just large enough to slip the clutch through. Mounting the clutch while engine is upside down is far easier than working from the underside. :)

I made all the connections, refilled the oil, and fired it up. It throttled down to good speed, throttle responsive is good. I put on the air cleaner, drove it off the ramps, and engaged the mowing deck. All seemed well. I made a cut of one lawn, and it seemed to be fine. It may run a little too fast. I think the slots in the control plate adjust the high-speed idle. It was hard to determine if the governor was working right - no heavy load, no hills.

And, no oil leaks that I can see, for now.

I still need to mount the bumper and ROPS.

Three sets of pics, (1) bumper, ROPS removal, (2) First repair attempt, (3) Today's repair.

Is this worth writing up as a repair, with annotated pics?

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

Graverunner68 and Walker56 like this.