Western PA Landscapers!

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 93Chevy, Feb 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum.
    You'll be glad you have this stuff to look back on. You'll laugh at some of it. I know I do when I look at my old posts.
    (I don't do Youtube)

hort101 likes this.
  2. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Saw Oak's Nuts Monday, boot 1 pm getting on to 376 headed towards Monroeville:eek:

3. OakNut

Need a mask to mow these days. Nothing but a dust bowl. Need rain bad.

People are going start this "It's done growing for the season" crap if we don't get some rain.

hort101 likes this.
  4. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

Seriously! Its been almost 2 weeks since I've cut mine down in the south hills.

OakNut likes this.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Grass mowing season is gone! The very early Fall leaf season has already started. I've moved lots of leaves this week, and the calendar has not yet reached Oct 1. Dismal end to the season, ending with a whimper.

hort101 likes this.
  6. OakNut

See, that's the up side to having weed-lawns as opposed to golf course lawns - at least I still have SOME green stuff to mow!

Skipping a lot this week though.
    Wolfsnout dust mask coming in handy for mowing dust and leaves.

Traction control cable snapped on Wed.
    Went home and got my backup mower and although it started and ran for 5 minutes at home, when I got back to where I left off, it wouldn't start again. Haha!
    Wed was a loss.

I should have everyone for the week finished late today or early Sat.

7. South Hills Lawns

Do any of you guys do snow for the winter? Thinking about what to do this winter. I'm not sure how to market for snow since it's just me and I work full-time.

8. OakNut

If you have a regular job, that severely limits WHO you can work for. Not many people are ok to wait until you have time to get to it.
    I tried it. Had a bunch of people that didn't really care when it got done, but really, we don't get much snow here, so ultimately I gave up doing residential snow removal.

I then tried working for someone else doing snow removal. He has apartment complexes and commercial lots to clear - gotta go out even if it's just icy, and put salt down. I figured that would mean more hours through the winter. NOPE. We simply don't get enough snow around here for reliable income.

It may be great for the commercial contracts where you get paid regardless, but otherwise there's not enough money in it.

Last fall I started working at Walmart in the fall. It's only $11/hr, but I got 40 hours a week vs working 7-10 DAYS over the course of the entire winter doing snow removal.

South Hills Lawns likes this.
  9. South Hills Lawns

Hey guys, anyone have their applicators license to legally put fertilizer down?

I called PA agriculture today and it seems like they make it so difficult to get the license. To my knowledge I have to get study guides and then test and surely pay money to the state after you pass. Anyone have any guidance?

10. OakNut

I know nothing about chem apps because I'm not licensed and don't do it.

Sort of wish I had gotten into THAT instead of mowing. 5 to 10 minutes on a lawn and you're back in the truck. LOL