Western PA Landscapers!

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by 93Chevy, Feb 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

I want it for the customers who want Scotts on their lawn or for using roundup. We're not aloud to use that in the state, as a business, without a license.

2. Snigg

Snigg LawnSite Member

Are you guys still mowing all of your weekly accounts every week? Been skipping some of mine, but others are still growing and/or needing leaves picked up. Still lots of leaves on the trees. I think some customers are anxious for the season to be over and I know I’m starting to get burned out and ready to be done. Will probably end up having work lined up well into November.

hort101 likes this.
  3. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

Skipped almost 2 weeks here in Pittsburgh. Leaves arent falling at a rate to justify a cleanup =( Could go prune and get shrubs and weeds done.

hort101 likes this.
  4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Still mowing the vast majority weekly. The 2 days of rain recently certainly helped - greened things back up and a few I had anticipated skipping actually needed cut.

Most people are paid up front for the month, so I'll mow them til the end of October. Most of those people will also have me continue to mow up until the week of thanksgiving.
    The cheap people will pull the plug long before that - you know, because the grass stops growing when it sees October 1 on the calendar. (rolls eyes)

I've done well by talking people into letting me continue to mow weekly even though the grass may be slowing down. "I can mulch up the leaves and mow at the same time, saving you some money by not needing to do a big leaf cleanup".
    It keep me mowing/collecting money longer and since I'm not set up to do big leaf cleanups anyway, it works out just fine.

I'll be increasing my hours to about 30 hrs/week at Walmart after Thanksgiving. (I only worked there between 8 and 12 hours a week through the mowing season - kept me on the payroll, didn't lose my "seniority", and kept my employee discount active)

hort101 and Snigg like this.
  5. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

You call it a year yet, there Oak Nuts?

hort101 likes this.
  6. OakNut

Nope. Grass is still growing, right?

I typically run up until the week of Thanksgiving, but many start dropping off between now and then.
    The leaves have just now started falling! Plenty to do yet.

7. OakNut

Plus, I just spent $625 between inspection and repairs on the truck today.
    Gotta pay for it somehow.

And if that weren't bad enough, I was given the "this is the last year I can pass it" speech.
    Frame just has too many thin spots. Gotta love the winter salt up north.

Poor truck is only 19 years old.
    Inspected til this time next year, so I'll be looking for something next season.
    It's a 2001- bought it new. Been a good truck.
    I feel like I was just told I'm gonna have to euthanize my dog soon.

Cam15, Bumpmaster and hort101 like this.
  8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Is reinforcing the frame out of the question?

9. OakNut

My mechanic had mentioned the possibility LAST year when it was inspected. Said there's a place he sends people to where the guy does "quick and dirty" frame repairs - not pretty, but gets you through an inspection.

I think there may just be TOO many bad spots now to make it worthwhile.
    I could always get a second opinion, but my guy knows me and has been helping keep the old girl going for several years now with various repairs. I don't think he'd suggest looking for another truck if it wasn't "time".

Plus the engine has been seeping oil slowly for a while and now the transfer case shows signs of a leak. I don't mind repairing it to keep it going because repairs are less money than a new (or used) truck, but at some point it just doesn't make sense to keep dumping money into it.

10. Dave Mason

Dave Mason LawnSite Member

Wow, looks EXACTLY like my Roxie!