Wet sand base

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by zedosix, Jul 30, 2017.

1. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Just recently installed a patio at my new home and decided that I should do the screeding base on sand. Its been a couple of years since I've used sand but thought what the heck I will do it for my place. I should of paid more attention to the sand because it was mixed with more fines than I had recalled seeing when I used to use it. Well it rained huge before getting a chance to install the poly sand and compact. Too large an area to cover so tarps weren't really an option.
    Fast forward 4 days... brick pavers are saturated and bleeding moisture thru the stone.
    Yesterday I compact the brick, broke a few so lifted and replaced them, the sand base is still extremely wet.

So, wait til base dries? We've had over 100 days of rain since end of March, so doubt this will happen any time soon.
    I'm thinking to use a silica sand so that it may eventually dry out.
    The poly sand with concrete additives I'm thinking would prevent this from happening.
    Thoughts???

2. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

No advice but I'd love to see pics of the end result of a patio that a "hardscape guy" builds at his own house.

3. hllc

hllc LawnSite Member

So we got caught in the same situation. Waited a couple days, re tamped and water blew up between pavers. There was no way to get it to dry and we had to pull up the whole patio. I couldn't find a different solution.

4. OP
    OP
    zedosix

015.PNG It isn't coming out of the brick joints, just a transfer of moisture from wet sand thru the brick. There is a good slope on the patio but it is under my deck on the north side of the house. Here is a shot of the brick after three rainfree and sunny days. Even today after 6 or so days the brick is cold and damp to the touch. Weird thing is that there is only 1/2" sand on compacted granular.

5. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

Since its your own place maybe just put a sealer on it and call it good?

6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

I used to get some very course sand that dried out in a hurry. Unfortunately the trucking company I got it from closed during he resession.

7. OP
    OP
    zedosix

None of this helps me now, just wanted to know if anyone experienced brick sweating like this before.

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

I'd bet it'll dry out eventually. You can always get some of the clay dryoil stuff or something like that to soak up some of the moisture?

9. scoob19

scoob19 LawnSite Member

@zedosix Sorry to dredge up a couple year old topic, but what did you end up doing with your patio? I ask because my recently installed patio looks nearly identical to yours. I've compacted and added poly sand, but with recent rain, the water that makes it through the paver joints makes its way into the concrete sand underneath and doesn't seem to drain. I've pulled up some pavers and the sand is still pretty wet. It doesn't help that the patio is on the north side of the house and gets zero sun this time of year.

10. Midwestlevin

Midwestlevin LawnSite Member

Times have changed, no sand as a bedding material anymore. You should be using 3/4 clean stone as a base and 1/4”-3/8” clean chips to screed out. These materials alleviate any moisture throughout the entire profile.