Wet sand base

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by zedosix, Jul 30, 2017.

1. hllc

hllc LawnSite Member

Complete agree. We have switched to a open graded base with a 3/8"s chip for bedding.

2. scoob19

scoob19 LawnSite Member

Yeah I’ve been reading more about people doing that. I may pull up a section and replace the bedding layer, I’ll see what my local supplier has.

Like I said, I’m just a homeowner and this may be a dumb question (two questions actually) but is it difficult to screed a 1/4”-3/8” clean gravel and get it nice and flat? Just seems like it would be tough. And is it hard to get the pavers to sit nice and flat on them? I’m just imagining the pavers sitting on 3/8” gravel and it doesn’t seem like it would work. Obviously it does work it just seems tough to pull off. Thanks guys

3. scoob19

scoob19 LawnSite Member

Also..It’s too late to dig up my base but I don’t think that’s the main issue. I checked around my local suppliers and it looks like 1B limestone is my best option (1/4”-1/2” limestone chips).

4. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

What do you use for edge restraint with an open graded base? I imagine the standard plastic restraint with 10-12" spikes might not hold tight in an open graded base. I'm intrigued by the whole concept and would like to try it on upcoming projects, but a little nervous to switch things up. The crusher run base and sand bedding layer has worked for us for a long time...

5. UniqueLandscapes1

UniqueLandscapes1 LawnSite Member
    from IL

The chips screed out pretty easy actually, not quite like sand but fairly level. Any unevenness will be fixed when running the compactor over the pavers when finished. They also won’t settle more than 1/8” or so. Takes a bit to get used to when you switch but quickly becomes normal. Also doesn’t matter how wet they are, always works the same.

6. UniqueLandscapes1

UniqueLandscapes1 LawnSite Member
    from IL

I’ve actually been using the normal plastic edging with stakes and never had an issue. Always seems to hold well. Every so often you might have to pull a stake back out and reset as you can feel it didn’t grab much.

7. scoob19

scoob19 LawnSite Member

I did a 25 sq ft test section (pulled up pavers. removed sand and replaced with clean stone). You're right it actually screeded out pretty nice, maybe even easier than sand. Plus picking up a paver and resetting it was much easier than sand. Weather didn't behave for poly sand quite yet but I'm assuming the joints are going to suck up a bit more poly sand with the clean bedding as opposed to concrete sand.

8. custom patios

custom patios LawnSite Member

Let it sit. Let it completely dry out before compacting and adding polymeric sand. Protect it from more rain and let it air out as it has time. Silica sand is not the answer. we use to do that like 30 years ago before the first generation polymer sand. dont do it. just wait.