Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I’m trying to get an idea of the going rate(per acre or man /machine hour) for wide open sports field mowing. Links to web sites or personal experience appreciated. Have a invitation to bid and considering the investment in new equipment I am just wondering if it will be worth it. The area to mow is around 40 acres.

thanks

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
The rate for man & machine is $60/hour up to a 72" mower.

It's not worth buying a machine for one job. Because if you get a small machine sized for that job you use a lot of labor and wear out the mower and there go your profits.
If you buy a big machine and finish the job in a few hours then the machine sets for the rest of the week and there go your profits.

All you can do is get a small machine and operate it yourself. Or get a larger machine and find other work for it.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Hello
I’m trying to get an idea of the going rate(per acre or man /machine hour) for wide open sports field mowing. Links to web sites or personal experience appreciated. Have a invitation to bid and considering the investment in new equipment I am just wondering if it will be worth it. The area to mow is around 40 acres.

thanks
Do a search on here for "WAM".

Most of the guys that covered larger acreage have moved on, for different reasons.

We mow a school district and a parks system and we run between $20 and $35 per acre, depending on exactly what that acre entails.

If it's just wide open baseball / football / soccer field mowing, it's closer to the $20 per acre, as we do it with a 15' tri-deck pull behind mower behind a 60 hp tractor.

If it's parks system mowing, and smaller parks with play areas, trees, obstacles, it's closer to $35-40 per acre.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
The most common way (that I see) to price the sports field mowing is by the acre. The larger more open the field, the less it will cost per acre. But if you get "smaller" feilds with more obsticles it will be more. I usually can get $25-$30/acre for larger, open feilds or a little more than $40/acre for "smaller", more challenging areas. But it really all comes down to what your market will take and your costs to run the equipment and labor.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
WOW that's cheep guys,,,,

Around here we get 35 to 40 for tractor mowing,

No way I would do it with a ZTR for those prices

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
WOW that's cheep guys,,,,

Around here we get 35 to 40 for tractor mowing,

No way I would do it with a ZTR for those prices
I guess I should have been more specific in my response. Those prices would be for several acres (like more than about 5 acres) For smaller properties that may only be 1-2 acres I get around $60/acre. I was being more specific to the sports feild mowing, those usually are open and have alot of area to cover so the price is lower, no drive time...all at one location.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.