What’s a fair estimate for cutting this?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by CJ's Mowing Service, Oct 29, 2018.

1. CJ's Mowing Service

CJ's Mowing Service LawnSite Member

Folks this is a weekly customer...and literally ONE house between his and mine. There are 14 total bushes.

F456ED87-5C1C-4136-A073-2FEABA737673.jpeg

2. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would charge $50-60 per bush. Maybe 20 mins a bush to do each then dumping... assume cutting down to 12”. Best way is hedge trimmers, rake and tarp.

3. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. Take some tape or a rope and wrap around the base it holds the bushes together and less of a cleanup.

4. OP
    OP
    CJ's Mowing Service

I already do the rope method. Wondered if a 16 inch chainsaw may be better than the hedge trimmer?

5. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I would stick with the hedge trimmer it will cut it cleaner. You will prob get too much kickback and binding with the chainsaw. Just my opinion from personal experience.

6. OP
    OP
    CJ's Mowing Service

Very much appreciated!!

7. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

Couple hundred.

4 pieces of rebar. Two close together on one end...two close together on the other, but a few feet in from the end.....long rope....tie the rope to rebar....walk alllll the way down...go around the rebar...go down at an angle then walk allll the way back down...pull rope tight to lift all the hanging blades.....put tarps all the way down on one side....walk down cutting with hedge trimmers....they'll fall over the lower part of the rope onto the tarp.....drag each tarp load to trailer...clean up any stragglers....

I've done one like this before...hard to explain without showing it....best I can explain how I did it, but it worked very well...

8. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

rebar has to be close on each end...the idea is to get the rope to sandwich the blades of grass tight...depending on the length of the row you may have to put a couple more in the middle. I didn't have to. Rope was tight.....wish I had pics because I know this may be weird to picture in your head...

I'll see if I can come up with something to visualize it more if needed.

9. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

@JMK26 had to read what you posted a few times, but i see what you are saying

TrainingWheels and JMK26 like this.
  10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

800 bucks

How often are you going to do this
    Once a year
    Max?

More effort and cost to dump and transport to the dump then anything