1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

What’s the new Q36?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by flakebortch, Mar 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. flakebortch

flakebortch LawnSite Member

Ten years ago I owned a Quick 36 Samuri. It was cheap but solid. BOP since went out of business, and I was wondering if anyone filled the market void for a mid-size walk behind that costs half the price of the big names.

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

As far as a powerful, lightweight & short WB riding on oversized tires, no, there is nothing currently able to compete. Your Samurai had an electric start KAW 15hp, was around 350 lbs and only 59" long.

Your 36" Samurai was a single hydro w/ three short blades?
    About the only thing semi-comparable out there now is the Ferris FW-15. Though, it is longer at ~74" and a 32" cutting width w/ two timed-blades, but lighter at 285 lbs - though riding on narrower tires for ~$3K.

I loved my Quickie 32 single hydros w/ electric start KAW at 340 lbs and 66" long. Perfect mower for my business. But, I had to retire them last year and am now using the above Ferris. There are a few threads here at LS on these. These are not w/o their faults, but I'm making it work and it fits my business model. Enter the naysayers...

hort101 likes this.
  3. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in a neighborhood yesterday. Another LCO stopped by, with a Walker and an Exmark z and a Honda 21. Asked me about my Quick mowers on my trailer. A 36 and 44 dual hydros. He started talking about how he cannot use the big mowers as its to wet and got stuck a couple times this week already. I then brag about my Quick mowers and their light weight and at times I just surf right over standing water. When it dries out, I'll use my riders, but for now the BOP's get the job done.

hort101 and Valk like this.
  4. danothemano

danothemano LawnSite Senior Member

Jacobsen WZT, it's a BOP, look it up

Dixie Chopper Pursuit if u can find one, I think they're discontinued.

5. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

Shhhhh... I'm waiting for SLE to put them on clearance, like they did the Dixie, don't want to create demand.

6. danothemano

danothemano LawnSite Senior Member

Yea... I remember February 2019, they had a 44 Dixie for $2000!

It was a floor model, but it was up for sale for days

Nowadays, ill trade 3 hand sanitizer for one

hort101 likes this.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Dixie Chopper/BOP/ and Jacobsen are now all owned by The Alamo Group. They are restarting production of some models and reestablishing their dealer network. They "might" have parts available for your old BOP.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Platinum Member

I looked at the jac wzt- a briggs 18 hp -no thanks. no way I am using that engine to make a living

9. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 32 dixie pursuit for 1800 last winter. Figured I’d give it a shot for a few really tight gates as opposed to a push mower. The things they changed compared to the BOP were awful.

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Ferris fw15?
    It’s 32”
    The fw25 is about 3 times the price