1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

What 2" fittings are available?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Jul 26, 2006.

  1. jcom

    jcom LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 791

    Our customer is insisting that we use 2" mainline pipe for his property. We will be using a 3 h.p. pump and will zone for about 50 gpm.

    I have no experience with 2" pipe or fittings. I will need to install valves to the laterals. I would like to use 1" laterals. What fittings can I use off the valve to get to three 1" laterals per zone?

    Thanks for the help.

  2. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,577

    2 inch is proper for that flow, so you aren't being burdened with an unreasonable request. Unless you have pressure to burn, 1 inch is too small for a 17 gpm lateral. You can use 1 1/2 inch zone valves. With poly pipe, you might run three 1 1/4 laterals.
  3. Bigred350

    Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 810

    There are the same anount fittings for 2" as there are 1".
  4. Midlo Snow Maker

    Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member
    Messages: 183

    OMG are you serious
  5. jcom

    jcom LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 791

    Ok WB, how does that work?

    Three 1 1/4 laterals through a 1 1/2 valve?

    As long as I am showing my ignorance, here is another.

    We limit our PGP rotors to 35' or so on our regular installs. With all this water available and a lot of ground to cover, what kind of decent distance coverage could I get with say a 5 or 6 gpm nozzle. Or in simpler terms, what has been everyones experience with covering large areas with Hunter rotors, nozzles, coverage patterns, etc. ???

    This first large pipe job is going to be a huge learning experience.

    Thanks to all the irrigation gurus. WB, you have helped me bunches in the past so I am continuing to learn from your knowledge. As well as all the others.

  6. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    There are a multitude of fittings available. You can come off the valve and then split three directions using a 2" slip cross with 2" x 1" slip reducer bushings in each remaining socket. You can then take the 1" anywhere you desire. I would make sure that this cross is installed 1'-2' outside the valve box so potential repair work is made easier.
  7. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    Valves are rated by how much actual GPM they can safely carry through them with a minimum of pressure loss. Each valve model and size can be different so you best better check their specs.

    For example, we'll run large field zones with up to 120 total GPM on a zone yet only use a 2" Irritrol Century Plus valve because it will carry that GPM without pressure loss affecting things too much. However, the inlet pipe and outlet pipes will be 3" in size reduced a very short distance in/out of the 2" valve with SCH 80 nipples. Depending on the zone layout the 3" initial lateral pipe can be teed off in a very short distance and the ensuing pipe diameter reduced for only those sprinklers that will be carried in a particular direction. If the zone is an end feed zone where the lateral line will be straight in line with all the sprinklers then the 3" lateral line may have to be carried 100' before reducing to 2-1/2", 2", 1-1/2", etc. on down the line.
  8. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    It will all depend on your pressure and other factors such as available GPM. Charts show a range of distances that a particular sprinkler will throw depending on the pressure available at the individual head. However, higher pressure = longer throw = more GPM. This will then also affect pipe sizing. We often buffer pipe sizes up one size where 1-1/4" laterals will be running to Hunter I-40s and reduced at the swing joint instead of running 1" pipe to each sprinkler. If you don't have both PSI AND GPM you may end up turning on a zone and then watch as it just piddles out of the sprinkler heads. Use the charts of the brand you will be installing and always leave a buffer on each zone when installing large systems. They aint toy residential pop-ups. :laugh:

    Use the charts and stay within your specs and available PSI/GPM. :)
  9. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,577

    For rotor distance, 5-6 gpm and 50 psi should get you 40 feet, but wait for more answers, since Hunter's nozzle redesign back in the 90's cut some distance from every size that became a single rectangular opening.

    As for the valve and the pipes, there isn't anything brilliant going on. You exit the valve with a MPTxInsert adapter, and run a bit of pipe to get clear of the valve box, then you tee off for the laterals. Two tees are cheaper than a cross, and a whole lot easier to fit into place. If you were running 50 gpm through a 1 1/2 inch valve, and for a long distance beyond, the fitting on the valve would be a reducing MPT adapter, with a 2 inch Insert end.

    The main hassle with large diameter poly is that you have to scale up the digging you do to connect the pipe, since you can't bend it around like one inch or 3/4 (my favorite!) poly.

    Also, for the mainline poly, Oeticker clamps might not be enough. Depending on the fitting, you'd use worm-gear clamps, or maybe the strongest of all - Ideal brand Loxon clamps. I've had poly mainline fittings blow out on me, until I clamped the smooth 'shoulder' of the insert connection with a Loxon.
  10. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    He didn't specify poly or PVC so I guess he can run with whichever answer suits his fancy.:)

Share This Page