Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at several 21ers and wanted to know if any one has had any problems with the honda 216 hydrostatic 5.5 honda engine, or the snapper 5.5 comercial model. Interested in the exmark metro 21 but no dealers close and someone said they were a toro anyways. I know someone is going to say do a search but all I want to know is if any one has had major problems with the machines.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We use the commerical snappers at work. Nice mowers. Drive handle is really freaking annoying...A mower with a blade brake clutch is more functionaly when you're bagging or having to stop to pick up toys or whatever.

I run a John Deere JX75 myself and love it...best push mower i've ever run.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the "commercial" Toro. I LOVE it. Very dependable. The thing is built like a tank. Mulches very well. Very dependable motor. I can't say enough good things about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 93 Yardman with a 5hp BS Industrial/Commercial engine. It mulches bags and side discharges. I'm not sure that its commercial grade but the only thing I've had to replace is a 3 dollar pulley and a 10 dollar cable. My favorite feature is that the height adjustment is just one lever.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Originally posted by sildoc
Interested in the exmark metro 21 but no dealers close and someone said they were a toro anyways.
You said that like its a bad thing that the Exmark is a Toro. There are lots of good 21"s out there and I certainly haven't tried them all, but I don't see how any of them could be any better than a Toro Proline with the Suzuki 2 cycle motor. LOVE mine. Don't confuse a Proline with any Toro that you might see at Home Depot because they are two entirely different animals.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
the one you posted looks like the Steel or Cast deck not Xenoy.

I would also suggest the Honda Comm. mower ( not the Xenoy)

If you are deciding between the Snapper and Honda, you will have less problems with the Honda. And it has a blade brake.

·
Registered
305 Posts
We run the Commercial Honda (not the hydrostatic). I love this mower. Well worth the money. When (and if) it ever dies, I'll buy another Honda. The bagging system is the easiest I have ever used, and the quality of the cut is great. In 3 years, not a single problem, and starts on the 1st pull. The Exmark vs. Honda 21" was discussed on another forum not too long ago. One very interesting thing I noticed about the 21" Exmark is that our local Exmark dealer does not carry them at all, but does carry the 21" Honda. Kinda odd, I thought. I never knew that Exmark made a 21" becuase I have never ran into one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am curious to why so many of you use the 500 - 1000 21" mowers. I have a cheap cheap yard man 21 but i just use it to bag around pools. I have had it over 5 years cuts great never had a problem. I could by 4-5 of these for what a exmark or honda cost.

But like I said I do not use a 21 very often. Just wondering why spend that kind of money on a 21???:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've got a 21" crapsman I'll make you a sweet deal on. Have not used it since I put a flex-deck on my 36" toro wb. That and a shindaiwa weedeater will mow almost anything. But seriously, I'm hanging onto the old 21" for days when a couple of ditches I mow are too muddy for the wb. Marc

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The reason people use 21" mowers is because we have to.
Some of the houses i mow have enough room for a lay down lawn chair and thats it!!
This is in a gated community and houses are close together and some i can not get a 36" in the back. But when it take you 2-3 minutes to mow on average the 21" works fine.
Your Yardman would not last 3 months with me.

Thats why people spend that much, all mowing conditions are not the same.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, Your right 1000 for a 21er. Yep that is why I thought my crapsman would do the job for what little I used it. Thank God for Sears being very good for taking back JUNK.
I have several lawns in a 55+ area and litterally can barly get a 21 into the back yard. I am hoping with the strength and durability that the Higher end mowers have it will last me for more than a year.
I agree that most of you will say that you wont mow anything that has poor access but how can you not? It pays well. I figure in 3 months I will have it paid off just on the 8 lawns that I have that are limited access, plus the ones that pay more for a 21er cut.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Mow
I am curious to why so many of you use the 500 - 1000 21" mowers. I have a cheap cheap yard man 21 but i just use it to bag around pools. I have had it over 5 years cuts great never had a problem. I could by 4-5 of these for what a exmark or honda cost.
You could also buy 4-5 mtd homeowner riders for what a commercial ztr costs. Why do people do that? Think about it.

I use deere jx75s with no problems.

You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Lawnboy - Honda specifically states that the Xenoy deck is not intended for commercial use.

Is that you mowing? Looks like you're wearing sneakers without eye or hearing protection. Not very professional or bright IMO.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everybody. Now to go negotiate for the Machine. Will let you know what happens in a few days. darn I hate to pay a grand for a stinkin 21 but what the heck if it will last a while.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I use JD JX75's and have had rpetty good luck with them. $700-$800 a pop.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.