what aerater do you all like

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by -, Oct 1, 2000.

  1. Guest
    Messages: 0

    what do you all think ....if you were going to spend around 2,000 what aerater would you buy,and do you know who sells classen in MN,i live near turfco....but i never see anyone use them,there price seems ok.

  2. Eric ELM

    Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
    Messages: 4,830

    Lesco aerators are Classen built in case you have one around you. I think they are built in Nebraska, so you might have a Classen dealer some place in Mn.

    I just went to their website, but they don't have a dealer locator on it. They do have a toll free number and you can even talk to Larry Classen himself or email them for a dealer list in your area. http://www.classen-mfg.com/products.html

    [Edited by Eric ELM on 10-01-2000 at 08:29 PM]
  3. jaclawn

    jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 490

    If you can do it, go for the oull behind. I have some areas that I cannot get the pull behind in, and some hills. I own the Lesco pull behind, as well as a Ryan LA 4. The Ryan is only used for trimming, and hills.

    I bought the Ryan first, then the Lesco. My thinking was that I could do everything with the Ryan, only it would take longer. It was correct. I could not do everything with the pull behind.

    If I had it to do over again, I would buy the pull behind, and rent a walk unit for a day and do those tight areas that the large one can't get. I would look for a nice used walk behind just for trimming.

    The pull behind will be twice as productive, and you will not be tired.
  4. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,492

    Depending on how much trimming you have, Home Depot sells a neat thing that has two tubes at the bottom of a T handle, and you push down and step on the crossbar. If you keep one foot on, you can "walk" with it and do your tight ares. I made my own, but the one they sell is priced right.
  5. KirbysLawn

    KirbysLawn Millenium Member
    Messages: 3,485

    I would spend an extra $1000 and buy the Classen! My wife used my new Classen yesterday with very little difficulty. My payments are $135.00 for 24 months.

  6. Eric ELM

    Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
    Messages: 4,830

    If you have something to tow it with, the 42" Classen is around $1250 and the 60" is around $1750.
  7. Guest
    Messages: 0

    i will check out the classen...i really dont think i can get a pull behind cause i only have greatdane surfers.

    thankyou for the advise
  8. KirbysLawn

    KirbysLawn Millenium Member
    Messages: 3,485

    Scott, you can use the pull behind with the Surfer. I guy in our local association has on with the Lesco pull behind. He says it works great, I haven't seen the results.
  9. bob

    bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE
    Messages: 4,262

    Scott, I just got a Lesco 42" tow behind(same as Eric's). Its the only way to go! I'll never be beaten up by a walk-behind aerator again! I use a Gator to tow it.
  10. UrbanEarth

    UrbanEarth LawnSite Member
    Messages: 142

    If you can spend the extra $$$, I would go for the Ryan LA28. I bought one several years ago, and it is great. You can turn while aerating, it is way faster than an LA4 (which I have as well), and I have pulled plugs that have been 4" of solid thatch (the LA4 wouldn't even touch it). It does a great job, tons of cores. I usually get jobs from the neighbors when they see how good a job it does.

    Drawbacks are it is pricey (but you should be able to charge more as well), and hills are a bit tricky sometimes.


Share This Page