1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

What am I going to need?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bandrews57, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. bandrews57

    bandrews57 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 4

    I am going to start a small lawn maintenance offering other home sevices as add-ons. I am in Southwest Florida. What type of insurance would I need. Since I am going to be mostly solo, will I need worker's comp for my now and then helper? Are there any certifications or special licenses I will need to invest in? What is the best entry level software that is available?
  2. Landscape25

    Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida
    Messages: 199

    Hi, there are no special licenses just occupational and then possibly one for individual municipalities. Your other home services may require licensing. I think for painting you have to be a contractor.
    I would check with an agent about the insurance. I don't think workers comp is required with a certain amount of employees. There is a thread about it I think.
    I am using Quickbooks Simple Start for my books. It is fairly easy and will do the job. You can not compare reports though. It is upgradeable. That was around $100.00.
    For your business name you need a fictitious name registration at sunbiz.org for 50.00 if you are not using your full name in your business name.

Share This Page