1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

What are average hourly rates?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Michael Smiley, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Michael Smiley

Michael Smiley LawnSite Member

Hey all turf pros.

Just wanted to do a survey on everyone's average per man hour rates. I have heard most professionals state that $60 a man hour is a fairly standard price when it comes to mowing and/or landscaping. Do you charge more or less than $60 a man hour? I live in Huntsville AL. Anyone else from Alabama or some other southern states know what the going rates are? There is a lot of competition where I live, so the prices are slightly lower based on my knowledge. Our crew works very efficiently though, so I think we can easily crank out $60 a man hour.

Also curious as to how much you charge for gross lot sq footage, and net turf sq footage. One of my properties is 12600 gross lot sq feet (8700 turf sq feet), and I charge $41. Does that sound correct?

Thanks in advance!
    Michael

2. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

$95 to $115 / hr should do it.

3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Gold Member

We try to get $60 pmh on mows and we average just a little more than that but we don't price those pmh it just is what it is. For other work that's being done by the hour it's $40 but going up to $45 in 2020. I know I know. But I charge what I feel we can get.

Cam15, Mdirrigation and sjessen like this.
  4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Solo here. $60 for pruning. $70-80 for leaf work. Mowing ranges from $65-$90. Mowing is done on a piece work price structure so in the spring the $/pmh is lower but when summer hits it is much higher....unless the lawn has lots of wet crabgrass. Spreading hardwood mulch averages around $60 but pine straw can be upwards of $70-75.

MILLC, Cam15 and Michael Smiley like this.
  5. kemco

On 8700 sq ft of turf to cut we would be close to $75 for mow edge and trim. One resi prop we cut is 11k sq ft of turf and it's $105.

But I don't know your set up as far as equipment. On that prop we've got a zero, a stander and two guys trimming and edging all at the same time.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Michael Smiley

Wow that price is way higher than I would have expected. I would love to make $75 a yard like that lol. Is it possible you could post an address of one the properties you service, or one that is near the area you service and tell me how much you would charge? I want to run it through my bidding system and see how close I come to your price.

grass4gas and Cam15 like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Michael Smiley

Interesting. Lawns take you longer in spring because of extra growth?

MILLC, Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  8. kemco

On our Bermuda and zoysia lawns we offer a first cut low and bag it (only time we ever pull baggers out). 50% premium. But I've tracked it and doing this gets us on average 2 more mows per customer, after the low and bag that is.

Michael Smiley likes this.
  9. kemco

PM me I'll give u an address of a 5200 turf sq ft we cut for $57. And that's with a slight discount because when she was living we also had the herbicide and fert apps. It was $60 per cut.

10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Yes. Extra growth due to spring flush, fertilizer and early rains.

Cam15 likes this.