1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

What are average hourly rates?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Michael Smiley, Dec 5, 2019.

1. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Silver Member

So how long total / $ per man hours ? I always felt it’s ridiculous (no offense) using a ztr and 3-4 guys on small lawn routes - you are just tripping over each other & adding to windshield time.
    But I guess your pricing makes up for it.

zlandman likes this.
  2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Crews work well for clusters of residential. Onesies, not so much.

Cam15 and zlandman like this.
  3. kemco

kemco LawnSite Gold Member

I guess small is a subjective term. On average we cut 30 a day. Not all that size of course. And some streets we cut multiple properties in a row. I know many crews do better than us on residential. When we are full swing we are grossing around $6k a week. A 5 day work week. We rarely go overtime unless we are behind due to rain. I'm getting old LOL and I'm concentrating on building our chem side more anyway. The 70 hour work weeks are now long gone. Of course it's a bell curve of gross receipts during the summer. How does that gross compare to what y'all are doing? Again I know many that do a lot better than us. As well as those that don't do as well as far as gross.

sjessen and Michael Smiley like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Michael Smiley

Michael Smiley LawnSite Member

Btw kemco, I started a conversation with you about the property address.

5. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

I'm not happy if the mowing average drops below $80 per hour much happier around $100 per hour. Minimum charge is $30 which covers 15 minutes total job time 10 for work 5 for drive.

Landscaping is usually in the $100-$150 range.

I'll add I'm solo and in a high cost of living area doing small inner city properties.

Michael Smiley likes this.
  6. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

im solo and i shoot for 80$/hour for mowing.. breaks down to 20$/15min and i have a 40$ minimum. works well for me.

zlandman likes this.
  7. ggb6259

ggb6259 LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Solo- $60/hr.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I was getting $80/hr in the early 2000s on average for mowing
    But I was BIDDING $42/hr back then

Reason being ZTRs were relatively newish at the time and my production rates were based on wall behinds with sulkies and three wheel riders.

as more people bought ZTRs and “caught on” it wasn’t so easy to make fast money on mowing

average is $60
    An hour

you can get better hourly average on smaller lawns on tighter routes with minimums

example you can do 20 each $30 minimum lawns in an 8 hour day - average $75 an hour solo

but bigger lawns at $60 an hour and more travel time , you’re lucky to average 60

Cam15 likes this.
  9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

[QUOTE="TPendagast, post: 6130092, member: 71586"

you can get better hourly average on smaller lawns on tighter routes with minimums

example you can do 20 each $30 minimum lawns in an 8 hour day - average $75 an hour solo

but bigger lawns at $60 an hour and more travel time , you’re lucky to average 60[/QUOTE]
    This has been my experience as well.

Cam15 and zlandman like this.
  10. Gus McGee

Gus McGee LawnSite Member

Residential or commercial? If we are talking residential our mowing crews are lucky if they average 45 - 50 per man hour. That is with efficient routes and productive crews.

Competition is abundant and prices are in the toilet for mowing in my area. We make money off of mowing but profit per job is low. I don't consider mowing a big money maker, but it is steady revenue and ties into everything, advertising, customer acquisition, higher profit work, etc.

kemco and Michael Smiley like this.