1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

What are average hourly rates?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Michael Smiley, Dec 5, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Michael Smiley

Michael Smiley LawnSite Member

What cities do you service? What are you expenses per hour?

Cam15 likes this.
  2. Gus McGee

Gus McGee LawnSite Member

A number of cities in southeastern PA.

Varies depending on the employee's hourly pay rate, but wage expense + mowing overheard is in the ballpark of 35 per hour. I am sure it varies by company, but for residential mowing we typically make around 100 dollar of profit per employee per day.

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Gross profit?

Cam15 likes this.
  4. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

For grounds maintenance, most guys out my way are charging $30 - $40 per man-hour. The Atlanta Metro is lowball city. I charge closer to $45 - $50.

5. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

That's what I wondered. That sounds waaaaay high!

sjessen likes this.
  6. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Really? What's the point of having employees if they can't generate profit. At $100 per day that's breaks down to $12.50 per hour. Charging $60 per still leaves a nice chunk of meat on the bones for overhead and labor. What am I missing???

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

It did to me also. Based on the poster's comments I was expecting something closer to $100 per day for the crew. Could be way wrong though.

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

We think the poster was saying he makes $100 per employee per day mowing. This is in the context of also posting that mowing isn't profitable.

zlandman likes this.
  9. Gus McGee

Gus McGee LawnSite Member

Net, our crews also work 10-12 hour days. Though without very efficient routes or a productive crew that net profit can quickly evaporate.

What makes mowing more profitable is volume and 100% utilization of equipment. Our trucks and equipment run 7 days a week. Higher utilization drops overhead substantially.

On a 10+ hour day I do not consider a net profit of around $8 - $10 per employee per hour much money. Maybe it is a matter of perspective.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Thanks. So, if I am reading correctly a 3 man crew would net $300 per day? Sounds pretty good for mowing.

Michael Smiley likes this.