1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

What are average hourly rates?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Michael Smiley, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Gus McGee

Gus McGee LawnSite Member

No, we are lucky to break even with a 3 man residential mowing crew. A third man barely speeds up things and the extra travel and loading kills all profitability.

Around $200 net per day per 2 men crew. That is if they can work a full day and no mishaps of any sort occur. You have to take into consideration that some days get rained out or some type of breakdown occurs which can set things back and have a 0 profit (or even losses) days.

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Razor thin margins for mowing in your area.

3. MikeJG

MikeJG LawnSite Member

Thank you for this information everyone. I am learning from here that I am definitely low on pricing. Guess I am stuck in a bad mindset, and charging what I think I can get, rather than charging what I can really be worth. I try to be a solo op, but do have some help now and again. Primarily mowing services only. I am in northern Indiana, around Notre Dame, and we have decent market here. I know I am still learning, and am on the fence about getting out of the business after 19 seasons.

4. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

Right on the money.
    On good production days my 3 workers will net me over $450.
    In an 8 hr day. After all expenses.
    Before tax.
    On residential day's it drops considerably down to $275-$300.
    That is why we do about 80% municipal & commercial.
    We're stuck with some residential mainly because it's business owners homes that we already mow.

Mdirrigation and sjessen like this.
  5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Drive time kill you on residential properties?

MowDaddy likes this.
  6. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it does.
    Verses going to a park and ball field, with a cemetery, and school all on 1 stop. The guy's have free rain over if they stop to use bathroom or eat a sandwich etc. Many day's I never see them except in the morning. Or we'll end up at same property at times.
    I have my own solo route that all I do is get on the 72 and mow. I hit all the big area's, steep hills, and ditches.
    They each have 52s for tighter area's and they do 95% of trimming. Blowing off concrete is left to who is last crew on site.

sjessen and hort101 like this.
  7. Wake Landscapes

Wake Landscapes LawnSite Member