Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

· Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wipe board in my office and every year I like to write down 6-7 things in the corner of it that I want to accomplish this year. It could be expansion and offering a new service, how many customers I want to add to the mowing route, a purchase I want to make, etc.

This year we are adding a few things.

Lawn Treatments
Irrigation repair
Low voltage lighting
Christmas lighting

As of right now we will ONLY be offering it to our current customer base as to not take on too much and get overwhelmed.

Currently we have around 150 FT mowing accounts between our residentials and commercials. Goal is to grow around 25%.

I would like to add a flatbed truck and a dump trailer to the fleet.

Need to upgrade the shop to something bigger. Really running out of room.

Keep our residential snow the same but expand our commercial.

I also want to add a 401K program to the business for employees. I have a bonus system in place, but I would like to streamline it a little more so if anyone has anything to share about that let me know.

Also, a better online social media presence. We do have Instagram and Facebook but frankly I'm not the best at utilizing it, so I have given handed the reins over to an employee.

Where does everyone else want to their business to go and how do you want to get there?

· Registered
4,352 Posts
not worried about getting enough work but would just like to make the same income and cut out working weekends. Man hour rates going from around 75-80 to 100 plus CAD should be able to do that.

Also do want to get pesticide license and start doing lawn apps

· Registered
665 Posts
We experimented a lot in 2022, but we're refocusing on our core service for '23. We have a running list on a whiteboard of short and long term goals, and it's probably more than anyone cares to read.

We are looking to increase gross sales by 100% to about $340k to net what we want, and that will take a well thought out and aggressive marketing plan.

A lot of the changes this year will be improving, and hiring help on the administrative end, but we may purchase another van, and we will need to hire at least one person full time to run it.

I took a job in construction management for the next year so I will not be involved in the day to day work, but this will allow my wife to reinvest the business income. The plan is by this time next year I will have quit my job. Maybe with 2 weeks notice this time.

· Registered
400 Posts
My lawncare goal this year is to put it on hold. My regular job keeps me very busy and that's what pays the bills, my lawncare money is my play money. Im going to take a year or two hiatus from my side gig. Ill miss it though. Good luck everyone in 2023!

· Registered
172 Posts
I have a wipe board in my office and every year I like to write down 6-7 things in the corner of it that I want to accomplish this year. It could be expansion and offering a new service, how many customers I want to add to the mowing route, a purchase I want to make, etc.

Lawn Treatments
Irrigation repair
Low voltage lighting
Christmas lighting

As of right now we will ONLY be offering it to our current customer base as to not take on too much and get overwhelmed.

Currently we have around 150 FT mowing accounts between our residentials and commercials. Goal is to grow around 25%.

I also want to add a 401K program to the business for employees. I have a bonus system in place, but I would like to streamline it a little more so if anyone has anything to share about that let me know.

Also, a better online social media presence. We do have Instagram and Facebook but frankly I'm not the best at utilizing it, so I have given handed the reins over to an employee.

Where does everyone else want to their business to go and how do you want to get there?
Continue to add maintenance clients, goal is 600 accounts, currently at 550.

· Banned
2,114 Posts
2023 is my businesses second year full time, kind of. I had a part time job until the end of July last year that was closer to full time. I had to quit because it was taking me away from better pay.

Goals for 2023:

Turn a profit this year, however small.

Build a better mowing business. Last year, around 70% of our business was one client, a real estate owner. We dropped him. We had serviced him for years, but after going full time and raising our prices to be more competitive, and because of inflation, he got real tight. He’s one of those guys who thinks he sets the price. He’ll figure it out this next year, or buy a mower. I could care less.

Get licensed to spray.

Do more hardscaping.

Get in bed with a local home builder who is begging for subcontractors. Not because no one will work with them,,, because there isn’t anyone. My area is full of Joe Blow with a mower, but very few real businesses. Like we are one of 3 legit businesses.

Get my brother and business partner embedded in the business. We started this together, but he had to finish his last year in a 20 year career in the US Air Force. He comes on board as an employee in June of 23. I spent a year building it up enough that we should have had enough exposure last year to not just be “new”. Our name is out there now.

As a note, this is the second business I’ve started from the ground up, so businesses wise, I know how to do it. Just finding our niche and figuring out what services are most desired and profitable. Obviously mowing isn’t as profitable, but it provides steady income. A must have for us as a start up.

· Registered
442 Posts

Lawn Treatments
Irrigation repair
Low voltage lighting
Christmas lighting

After 23 years, I'm seeking to sell my solo lawn care operation in a popular tourist community. Will post in marketplace.

· Registered
8,801 Posts
not worried about getting enough work but would just like to make the same income and cut out working weekends. Man hour rates going from around 75-80 to 100 plus CAD should be able to do that.

Also do want to get pesticide license and start doing lawn apps
What kind of pesticide applications are allowed in Canada?

· Registered
1,359 Posts
Increase our fertilizer program by 25% in sq footage. Double our compost topdressing business. Compost was a new service for us last year and it was quite the experience. We have been transitioning away from mowing but will continue to maintain what we still have.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts