What are the licensing requirements in TN?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Braxton, Nov 20, 2004.

  1. Braxton

    Braxton LawnSite Member
    from TN
    Messages: 81

    Can someone help me with licensing requirements? I gather that for cutting grass I only need a business license, but what about other thing?

    Do I need a license beyond a basic business license for the following, and if so, where can I inquire about getting one?

    1. Landscaping installs (shrubs, flower beds, etc.)
    2. Seeding
    3. fertilizing
    4. hydroseeding
    5. Tree trimming
    6. Shrub trimming
    7. stump grinding/removal
    8. More advanced landscaping such as retaining walls, ponds, lighting, etc.

    Lord willing, I will begin in business in the Spring. I only plan to begin with cutting grass, light shrub trimming, and light landscaping (per #1 above), but I'd like to have an eye to the future for expansion. I already know the requirements for chemical application--they're stout, but is fertilizing included or can I do that w/out the chemical license?


  2. jwcorbin

    jwcorbin LawnSite Member
    Messages: 9

    I work in the Chattanooga area. Where in TN will you be working :cool:
  3. leeslawncare

    leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 649

    call the state ag. department.they might can help you
  4. Braxton

    Braxton LawnSite Member
    from TN
    Messages: 81


    I live in Cannon County, about 1.5 hours from you. Any suggestions?


  5. Team Gopher

    Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -
    Messages: 4,040

  6. Bryn

    Bryn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 209


    From what you posted it sounds as if you are ok from an ag. point of view, but still call the ag department and speak to Mary Borthick. Basically the ag. department wants a license if you apply chemical for a fee. This is a general discription, but also check out this web site.

  7. lafrance4078

    lafrance4078 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 246

    Make sure that you get INS. It will save you in the long run. Also if you plan to bid on commercial props. they will require you to have it. (most) Good luck. I am in knoxville. Let me know if I can help.

Share This Page