1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

What are y’all charging to install pansies and violas?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Hotty Toddy, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Hotty Toddy

Hotty Toddy LawnSite Senior Member

A flat of 6 pack pansies runs me about $11 wholesale. A flat of 4” pots would cost me about $14. I like to put down something like a 9-22-7 fert when I install them.

Do y’all charge 2-3x cost to install these? I’m leaning closer to the 3x markup this year.

2. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Materials+labor+delivery=total cost

Double or triple the cost doesn’t really equate uniformly from job to job. 1 location may be closer than another. 1 location I might have to walk 1/2 mile uphill both ways in order to install. You get the idea. So if it costs you $14 material+30 min labor($45minimum)+$50 delivery=$109.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You have to charge a percentage of manhood, because you lose a bit everytime you plant this stuff!

4. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

2.5 - 3 times the material cost seems to be the going rate in my area.

Hotty Toddy likes this.
  5. NTXlawnteacher

NTXlawnteacher LawnSite Member

My apologies for my ignorance. Just trying to get a firm grasp on pricing.
    would it be price wise....
    a) markup material of wholesale 2.5-3= total job
    or
    b) markup material 2.5 - 3 + delivery + instal = total job
    thank you

6. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Never charge a flat mark-up based on plant cost. Figure out how long its going to take you and how much you need to make, then you've got your cost. I I charge a flat fee per size of the container, 6 pack, 1 gallon, 5 gallon etc which can vary depending on terrain and site specifics. I don't mark up the plant cost, it just gets added to my per container size pricing. A couple of years ago a landscaper I know was charging a flat 2X mark-up cost on plants to his install clients. So if the plant cost him $50, he charged $100. Total cost of the plant list $1000, he'd charge $2,000. So he had a client who he was planting 20 very large trees. Clients found the trees at the nursery, saw they cost $225 a piece, the landscaper had told them 2x mark-up, so the total cost was going to be $9,000. Contract was signed specifying the 2x markup cost.
    The week before the job was started the clients called this guy excitedly and told him that the nursery had just put the same trees on sale for 20% off. Now they were only $180!!! Clients were thrilled, the job would only cost $7,200 now. Landscaper just lost $1,800...

Ticolawnllc likes this.
  7. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Do you realize you have to have a landscaping license from the state? Factor this in the cost

8. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

They would have been billed at the original labor price. If the client bought them and delivered them then I would have considered the discount. But if I have to go shopping, delivery and install, nah won't budge on price at all.

9. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

This is a helpful example. Thank you. I'd be interested to know more about your flat fees per container size, particularly how they vary per the specifics you mention (generally speaking). How many price points do you have?

I need to start thinking in terms of time units, like I've heard others report. That is, if I need to make $500 per day, then estimate cost based of full-, half-, quarter-, etc. day.

10. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

Good point. Even when I think I've factored that in rather well, there's always an "ouch" when license fees come due.

I'm thinking about whether or not to give up my applicator's license. I have category 4 license, but I only do weed control measures for ornamentals. I don't do turf weed control.

And then there's the monthly ATAP routine. Hate it.