1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

What are y’all charging to install pansies and violas?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Hotty Toddy, Oct 5, 2019.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

This is your best post ever! LMAO! :laugh:

fatboynormmie and kemco like this.
  2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Hate to tell you but your class 4 license doesn't cover planting, it's a different one, Landscape Contractor I think. More $$$$

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

No doubt

should get pinned

Hotty Toddy likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

Hotty Toddy LawnSite Senior Member

They are different, but both from the Arkansas State Plant Board. It’s a little more expensive, I think, than the applicators license but not much. I just meant amongst all the license fees, I’m not sure if I’ll keep the pesticide license or not. I didn’t use it much this year.

5. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never heard of needing a landscaping license to plant. That's absurd. And charging extra for it is absurd too. That should be included with your hourly pricing derived from your overhead.

RussellB likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

Hotty Toddy LawnSite Senior Member

In Arkansas you need a landscaping contractor’s license if you plant trees, woody shrubs and perennials. You wouldn’t need one to plant annuals. It’s $150 per year.

7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Though some will disagree with this, I actually support it, here's why.....
    Look at every other skilled trade--plumbers, electricians, HVAC techs, carpenters, home inspectors, automotive mechanics, etc. They all have to go through formal training (an apprenticeship) in order to be licensed in their respective fields. This is due to the technical nature of their jobs, and in order to prove competency (to avoid mistakes). Why should landscaping and/or grounds maintenance be any different, especially when one considers that employees in these fields are working with living organisms (i.e. plant, turf, trees)? A sad fact in my neck of the woods is that about 50% of the work I see my competitors doing--from maintenance to design/build to irrigation--looks like crap. This tarnishes the image of the industry, making it appear like "anyone can do it with no training"...oh, wait--anyone can.:rolleyes: This is no less than unprofessional. This is also why we as landscapers have some of the lowest gross hourly rates when compared to other skilled trades. You see, if all current college kids, illegal aliens, and non-insured wannabes were required to have professional licensure (via an apprenticeship) or face heavy fines, they wouldn't even try to to get into this field. The sheer amount of available work would go up (demand), the amount of landscapers properly licensed and operating would go down (scarcity of supply), and the gross hourly wage would be able to go up accordingly. Additionally, one would see a more constant stream of competent work industry-wide because an apprenticeship program would substantiate/provide competent training. This would add to an image of professionalism.
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but had to make this comment because it's what I believe our industry needs. I FOR ONE am tired of seeing Joe College buy a brand new lawn maintenance rig with federal student loan money, lowball my entire territory with an asnine $15.00/hour gross rate, and then sell everything off to a pawn shop when he can't handle this business by July of his first season. These people need to be eradicated LEGALLY from our industry, and it starts with professional licensure. Okay, I'm done...back to quoting pansy install costs.:cool:

Mac-s Lawn & Snow likes this.
  8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Chilehead, those are all good points! One thing that is missing in this scenario is the enforcement of the regulations.

9. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

In Minnesota the Dept of Ag has a nurseyman's license. It is required to purchase nursery products wholesale from local nurseries. Many hardscape suppliers will require this before they give you wholesale pricing. The license starts at $150 and requires nothing more than writing them a check every year