1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

What are your thoughts on Scott's ProVista St. Augustine sod (gylphosate tolerant)?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by nolo, Nov 30, 2018.

1. nolo

nolo LawnSite Member

They state that it grows 40 percent slower and is tolerant to glyphosate. I would think that is a game changer. There is nothing I can do about torpedo grass in the lawn. It would be nice to be able to hit those hard to kill weeds with glyphosate.

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Interesting, the first I've heard about it. I'll be paying attention to this thread

3. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like we'll see more glyphosate resistant weeds in the future. Great!

weeze likes this.
  4. iand

iand LawnSite Bronze Member

Terrible product and hope it doesn't get much use
    40% less mowing means weeklies become 2 weeklies and glyphosate safe means less work for the professionals

5. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

It will escape everywhere and wreak havoc, just like the Scott’s gly tolerant bentgrass disaster.

I guess they needed to create something even worse than common bermuda as a superweed. When all else fails, gly the crap out of it; doh! it’s gly tolerant.

hort101 and That Guy Gary like this.
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

there's always bleach and if that doesn't work then use gasoline. :laugh:

..then again 24D would probably kill it.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

8. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

I live near the old test plots of the gly resistant bentgrass trials and farmers are still fighting it and it's been a disaster. Huge storms spread the seed across western Idaho and eastern Oregon. Scotts and Monsanto don't want to take responsibility.

They recently got it deregulated so they can step away from the efforts to control it.

I couldn't care less about the improved growth habits, that's positive progress. They need to stop making crap more tolerant to non selective herbicides, especially if the intended use is going to be residential!

I see a lot of collateral damage from overspray and drift if this becomes popular, and a lot of people pissed off that something they can't control with the products they have invading their property.

hort101 and Delmarva Keith like this.
  9. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Senior Member

i understand that baking powder (soda) is a real game changer too!

10. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i question how tolerate it is. i would want to learn more about it before i switch my grass out to it

hort101 likes this.