1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

what background plant goes with harbor dwarf nandinas?I

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by midlandlawncare, Nov 29, 2010.

1. midlandlawncare

midlandlawncare LawnSite Member

Im planning a simple landscape for a maint. customer. He has a few overgrown "contractor" bushes that will be pulled out and Im having trouble coming up with a design I like ,however I have decided my front tier bushes to be harbor dwarf nandina's and i was thinking about frost proof gardenias behind them ,Im just worried the leaves on both will conflict. What about large lorepetulums on the back?Any good idea's?:waving:

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

you are totally different zoning, but there is something nice about the way hypericum perforatum goes with nandina. I usually go with large nandina in the back though. Sort of a risky combo up here, but it has worked for me.

3. LizzieLandscapes

LizzieLandscapes LawnSite Member

Go to the nursery and put the 2 plants together, see if you like the way they look. Using plants with foliage that have different textures is a real good thing, not a bad thing, so don't be afraid of doing it.

What to be concerned about is using certain colors that will conflict in a landscape.

4. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

how tall of a background? ive always had good luck with nandina / juniper mixtures