What brand 12v Lawn Mower Battery do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TimTim2008, Aug 28, 2010.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

So far, I've never had to replace one. :)

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

This doesn't mean that they're all the same though. Batteries are built to spec for each buyer.

3. mbrew

mbrew LawnSite Senior Member

True, but I've found that if you compare batteries with similar CCA's that they'll be pretty close in quality. The folks that are selling on price are always selling one of the lower rated batteries.

4. Grubrunner

Grubrunner LawnSite Member

Exactly!

More often than not, far from true.

Experience has taught me otherwise.

Anyway....

I've had much success with Interstate Workaholics in the past on lawn equipment.... but very little with Diehards.

5. mbrew

mbrew LawnSite Senior Member

The fact that you and Richard prefer different batteries from he same manufacturer yet you don't like the battery that Richard does follows my experience in testing and selling literally hundreds of batteries. Overall we replaced all of the major brands at about the same rate and I haven't read anything to indicate that's changed lately. The likely hood of a car battery making it through a 5 year warranty period is slight and is most unlikely in the hotter parts of the country. There's a reason that equipment battery warranties are so short, and that's because there's such a wide range of operating conditions. Buying from a retailer that turns over their stock quickly may have more to do with longevity than brand.

In the end, tarting an debate over which battery is best is like asking which brand of string trimmer is best. I buy mine base on convenience of replacement, buy yours based on what ever tickles your fancy.

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Interstate SP40. If the battery box needs a flat top battery go with an SP35

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I’ve tried them all Deca,everstart,Napa,Interstate give me more life than any batteries in my Scags
    If I had to pick the worst battery it would be at Walmart everstart

8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

When responding, could you guys also state whether you take the guard off your trimmer or not?
    It would greatly assist in knowing whose opinion is valid and who should be ignored.

:p

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Took a while to find but I use Deka in mowers truck etc....best I have found