1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

What brand/type of silicone to use

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by randy26933, May 15, 2009.

  1. randy26933

    randy26933 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 3

    I have been researching the site and different forums and have seen reference to using silicone to adhere wall caps. What type of silicone do you use? I am just working around my own property, not doing this professionally.

    I have a problem with the caps coming loose and just wanted to stick 'em down. I would rather use silicone than mortar, in case I have to remove them.

    Am I on the right track?
  2. Jeffery

    Jeffery LawnSite Member
    Messages: 4

    This may not be the professional fix, but I used Liquid Nails for concrete to adhere the caps on my Belgard wall. It has worked fine for me and is very solid.
  3. Bru75

    Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 582

    You can use construction adhesive like liquid nails, just be sure that concrete is listed on the label.
    I like type 3 superwet adhesive from pavetech. It's stronger than construction adhesive and the surface does not need to be dry for application.
    You definitely don't want to use mortar on a segmental wall.
  4. soopa

    soopa LawnSite Member
    from NY
    Messages: 132

    I use Brickstik or PL block adhesive. I used Liquid Nails heavy duty construction adhesive in a pinch recently, never again. The stuff takes forever to dry and the bond is very weak. I had to redo it.

    Brickstick is super strong and works wet or cold, but it's very sensitive to dust and is difficult to squeeze. PL doesnt seem to bond as strong but for typical work its a nice product to work with.
  5. randy26933

    randy26933 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 3

    I've not seen the type 3 that Bru75 mentioned or the Brickstik or PL that soopa mentioned. Where would I find these products? Lumber store or H.D.?
  6. soopa

    soopa LawnSite Member
    from NY
    Messages: 132

    You can find the PL at Lowes or Home Depot. The other products mentioned you have to get from a landscape supply, or in the case of PaveTech, direct from their website. Pavetech.com
  7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

    STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,174

    SRW and GE200 have been my best products wet and cold. I always try to have a clean surface.
  8. jonlavonne

    jonlavonne LawnSite Member
    Messages: 60

    We have used Geocel proflex for many years. Works great wet or dry. Slow to set but tremendous strength once cured. Speaking froom exp. nearly impossible to separate!
  9. randy26933

    randy26933 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 3

    I ended up using the only product I could find in this area, the PL. I did that two weeks ago and so far no problems.

    I've used several of these sites forums to get input on problems I've had with the snow plow and my diesel pick-up and I must say that I am impressed with the responses that I get.

    The posters are always helpful. Thanks to all of you. Randy

Share This Page