what brand would you recommend for a man who had an atv but sold it

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV' started by invicible ice agers, Oct 11, 2019.

1. invicible ice agers

invicible ice agers LawnSite Member

Hey y'all my dad is looking' for a ATV or Utv for his business? what brand would you recommend?

2. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

Honda ATV, Kubota UTV, Yamaha UTV and ATV. These are the brands I would recommend. I personally have the 2000 Honda Rancher 350. Really like it. It did have carburetor problems at first because the owner I got it from sunk it and let it sit. Me and my dad cleaned the carb and replaced the jet that was on it and it ran pretty decent after that until the choke started sticking and it was running rich. I bought another carb for $40 and it runs sooo much better now. It's been very reliable this far for me.

3. OP
    OP
    invicible ice agers

thanks @Mownmachine144

4. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

The answer is going to depend on what will be done with this vehicle, and where it will be used. I have a Kubota RTV X900 that has become indispensible. The hydraulic dump bed is especially appreciated and it gets a lot of use as a mini dump truck. But it definitely would not be the best choice for many people and purposes.

5. OP
    OP
    invicible ice agers

this would be for spraying

6. Jasburrito

Jasburrito LawnSite Senior Member

Can am is best now.

7. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Bronze Member

For durability nothing beats a Honda, especially the Foreman. Great until for work that will last years and years with good maintenance. Can Am is the way to go for fun.

zlandman and AlohaMowing like this.
  8. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

For spraying anything that can carry a spray tank and provide 12v power for the pump would work. For a solid, work ATV I would lean strongly toward Honda. Consider whether 4wd is needed, or can money be saved by sticking with a 2 wd Rancher.

But . . . the thumb throttle standard on most (maybe all?) ATVs is something that I really dislike. I have driven a friend's Honda Rancher and it does not take long for the thumb to start aching, and I find it more difficult to control the speed with the thumb lever than I ever found with the twist throttles on the motorcycles I had. I understand that the manufacturers think the thumb throttle is safer on an ATV, but I just don't see it, and if I ever get an ATV I will convert the thumb throttle to a twist.

9. Ned888

Ned888 LawnSite Member
    from Poconos

All brands have issues. Choose the best dealer you have in the area. Dealer support is the key.

I have a Polaris Ranger XP 900, have had issues but they were resolved. Great machine.

Prior to that I had Kawasaki Brute Force 750, great machine, had issues, no support, Sold.

Cam15 likes this.
  10. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

Honda, Yamaha, canam. Personally I have Yamaha. He'd be well served to invest in power steering.

I don't want to get into the whole Polaris debate, I had one and the same parts repeatedly failed and the manufacturer would not warranty them. Low and behold they changed their design because the problems - go figure. But still would not warranty them claiming there is no issue with the design.

JLSLLC likes this.