1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

What came first trim or mow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobcat175, May 18, 2005.

1. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Normally I mow then trim. What do you do when you have taller grass next to walls/foundations? If I trim this after mowing then I have tall cut grass laying on the lawn. Do you come back with the mower? Do you use the blower and get rid of it - but it will still be somewhere on the lawn to see? Do you trim the tall stuff and then mow then trim the beds/walkways? Just trying to be efficient and save time.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Trim First
    John

3. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

If I see the tall grass when I pull up I will trim first then mow. However normally I will mow then trim and then blow everything off. Sometimes I like to blow off the hard surfaces first then mow :p

4. LA LAWNS

LA LAWNS LawnSite Member

mow weekly, or more often and you wont have to ask...

5. bobcat175

I'm mowing 2+ a week now. Grass is growing like crazy.

6. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I like to trim first then mow. Kind of like painting, cut in then roll.

7. bobcat175

Tried trim then mow yesterday. Works great. In the past I always mowed with the left side overhang from the deck real close to the edges. Then trimmed after. Sometimes again after blowing the walkway/driveway edges straight up. I think I'll stick with the trim first. Thanks all.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Totally agree with the painting comment. I trim first and then mow. If you have been using the mower for a while you will know how close you can get to items.

Gravely_Man

9. fyrewalker31

fyrewalker31 LawnSite Member

I always go back and blow any grass left laying on the lawn. If I see that it piles up. I just disperse it out into the yard in all directions. Works well for me on all yards, regardless of grass type.