What can be done for crabgrass before aeration/seeding

jlbf0786

LawnSite Senior Member
Fescue lawn that's gotten eaten up by crabgrass. What can be applied considering the small window I've got before September? I hate to do a blanket spray of roundup on it because there's still plenty of good turf in there.

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
Oh I just reread it and you want to kill crab already on the lawn?

Tall fescue won't care if you spray quinclorac today, the day you seed it, or the day it germinates.

Marine03112

LawnSite Silver Member
Pylex or tenacity at the 8oz an acre rate for tenacity. That will kill a lot of crabgrass for sure. Don’t know if Quin delays seeding or not but tenacity doesn’t.

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
I 2nd the tenacity vote. Not sure what the label says exactly, but when seeding tttf and kbg I applied due to its ability to be applied at seeding and broad spectrum it covers. Thus far, lawn thick and lush and no crab grass

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Just before it goes to seed--let the crabgrass get tall--then cut it short as you can. Shocks it. Power rake. Sow seed and starter fertilizer. In fall, cool weather and falling soil temperatures will stop new crabgrass and crabgrass seed, if it gets down to 45 degrees at night. If you feel the need for crabgrass control--then use Drive.
Or apply Tenacity.
Big C is right--Drive is hard on fine fescue--slight risk of injury.

Arrange for plenty of water. Water every day for 30 days.

Last edited: