What can be done for crabgrass before aeration/seeding

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jlbf0786, Aug 15, 2019.

1. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

Fescue lawn that's gotten eaten up by crabgrass. What can be applied considering the small window I've got before September? I hate to do a blanket spray of roundup on it because there's still plenty of good turf in there.

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Tenacity? Haven't read the label in awhile. If I remember correctly it's fine fescue you have to be careful with.

Marine03112 and That Guy Gary like this.
  3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

Oh I just reread it and you want to kill crab already on the lawn?

Tall fescue won't care if you spray quinclorac today, the day you seed it, or the day it germinates.

4. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Silver Member

Pylex or tenacity at the 8oz an acre rate for tenacity. That will kill a lot of crabgrass for sure. Don’t know if Quin delays seeding or not but tenacity doesn’t.

5. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Raleigh

We used pylex at time of seeding with good results, back when we still did aeration and overseeding.

6. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

I 2nd the tenacity vote. Not sure what the label says exactly, but when seeding tttf and kbg I applied due to its ability to be applied at seeding and broad spectrum it covers. Thus far, lawn thick and lush and no crab grass

Marine03112 likes this.
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Just before it goes to seed--let the crabgrass get tall--then cut it short as you can. Shocks it. Power rake. Sow seed and starter fertilizer. In fall, cool weather and falling soil temperatures will stop new crabgrass and crabgrass seed, if it gets down to 45 degrees at night. If you feel the need for crabgrass control--then use Drive.
    Or apply Tenacity.
    Big C is right--Drive is hard on fine fescue--slight risk of injury.

Arrange for plenty of water. Water every day for 30 days.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  8. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Another option: Drive XLR8 + MSO. Seeding wait is 0 days for tall fescue, 7 days for KBG or fine fescue.