1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

What can I apply......or can I?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tthomass, Jun 8, 2006.

  1. tthomass

    tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA
    Messages: 3,498

    Got the landscape business go'n etc...........BUT, i haven't a pesticides license.

    Does that mean I can't apply even Round-Up? What about the spring and fall "green ups" of high N? Lime?

    I don't know how much/if it varies state to state but I'm in VA.

  2. indyturf

    indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy
    Messages: 1,901

    Check with your local Ag extension office, but in most states you can apply straight fertilizer. you will need a pesticide applicators license to use any herbicide (even Round Up)
  3. Norm Al

    Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,227

    you can apply many organics try www.agorganics.com to see some products

    you can use products like www.crabgrassalert.com to kill crabgrass in the lawns,,,,,many spray guys are to dumb to make money using these types of organic products,,,,,,you will look like a genius, when your spray guy doesnt even know these products exist.
  4. indyturf

    indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy
    Messages: 1,901

    I believe you would still need a liscense to make applications to a customers lawn. even if your were using organic's
  5. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    I know that here in Michigan you sure would. It would sure seem that in Florida, you would, also.
  6. lilmarvin4064

    lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 757

    As far as I know in VA you can apply straight fertilizers and lime. No round-up, no crabgrass controls, no grub controls, no weed-b-gone or weed-n-feeds. I'm pretty sure that you have to be licensed to apply "organic pesticides."
  7. bug-guy

    bug-guy LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,029

    in fla scapers can get a lic. for roundup in 4 gal back packs pretty easy
    call your ag co op depart in your county
  8. vegomatic40

    vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6
    Messages: 406

    "many spray guys are to dumb to make money using these types of organic products" After looking at the so called "results" of 2 local competitors that use all-organic products on their handfull of fringe customers I think I will stay blissfully ingnorant and use proven methods and products. That way I can continue with a positive balance in the bank accounts and avoid the always messy bankruptcy and inevitable auctioneer's hammer like the last guy I saw that went all organic. Got 2 nice spreaders at that sale and they were practically unused. Go figure. Oh yeah, I think your state requires license,charter etc. to apply the latest snake-oil organics. Bottom line is if you apply ANYTHING to a lawn that isn't your property, chargeable or free you gotta do it legally in this country.
  9. Green-Pro

    Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,420

    Best reply so far.....would have to be check with your states ag extension office as to requirements. here in Iowa you need to be licensed as an applicator, dealer, and company in order to apply anything to a clients yard. Fertilizer, selective and non-selective herbicide.
  10. boxsky

    boxsky LawnSite Member
    Messages: 178

    There's a loophole in PA app lic. You can put down basically anything out there you can't charge for it. Of course why would you do all the owrk for no money but you can do it. You could buy the stuff and apply it and charge a delivery charge but if you get caught there may be a problem.

Share This Page