• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

What causes the nylon line to break off?

cmurphy128

LawnSite Member
What causes the nylon line to break off?

There are several reasons for broken nylon line.
1.As nylon line becomes old, it will dry out and become brittle. Try soaking the nylon line in warm water. The water will restore flexibility reducing the amount of breakage.
2. Cutting too closely to hard objects such as concrete or chain link fences with the middle of the line instead of using the tips of the line. Heat from friction can built up inside the trimmer head causing the nylon line to become weak where it exits the trimmer head.
3. A Poor quality nylon line will not dissipate heat efficiently and cause the line to break prematurely.

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
Great post! Absolutely right, too! Thanks!

OP
C

cmurphy128

LawnSite Member
i have stocked and sold lots of trimmer line, what is every ones thought of the best?, i have my own opinion but whats yours?

tiedeman

LawnSite Fanatic
gator line with the metal inside...can't think of the name. Seems to last a lot longer and cuts smoother

metro-hp_48

LawnSite Senior Member
I always liked the long-lasting quality of Husky Titanium, but pretty blunt. Used 1.05 Echo Cross-Fire for many years. Might try some of the Gator this year. One of the few I haven't sampled.

Wasn't there some kind of "string of the month club" at one time, where they would send diff. samples of trimmer line?

grass_cuttin_fool

LawnSite Gold Member
The round stihl line in .95 worked very well for me last year, I was very impressed , it cut and lasted better than the stihl diamond shape line

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
Nope. I'm back with the .095 round stock. Much cleaner and crisper of a cut. The star shaped and square stuff just has too much flutter to it. Doesn't cut as clean. Anything over .095 is just too blunt. I ended up giving a half a spool of .105 away, because it just didn't have that crispness to it. I've used Stihl line (.095) in the past, and that worked well. I've used the metal center, and that didn't work all that well, either. It seems to have flaring issues. Right now, I have some brand, I don't know if it's Oregon, or Lesco. It IS green. It has worked real well thus far.