1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

What chainsaws are you running?

Discussion in 'Tree Care Equipment' started by hort101, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I’ve got a Husqvarna 353 that I use for lighter trimming work and a 372XP that I use for most of my firewood cutting. The XP line Husqvarna is a sweet saw.

2. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Speaking of new today chainsaws. Not saws of yesteryear.
    Lowest: Stihl
    Middle: echo
    Best: husky
    Still was the best. They’ve been lapped. What’s worse then lapped? They’ve been nuked!!!
    Echo: Easy start everytime! Sit for a day or a half year: starts right up. Strong constant power band.
    Husky: everything said about echo but it’s just better. It just is. Just the feel.
    Stihl: they don’t start! They are underpowered for their rating. I agree they were too of the spear when I was younger. But they sell their label now, not their machine.

3. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl makes a nice pro grade saw but the homeowner stuff sucks just as bad as anything. They’re by far the most overhyped saw.

4. Garrett1234

ive run them all. Now I’m no arborist, but stilhls best saws are echos and huskys average saws. They just got lapped. Give it a decade, the leap frog will continue I’m sure stihl takes the lead again. But for now, at every comparable level, they just aren’t as good.
    go into any shop that carries all three brands and ask what people are buying. What the mechanic suggests. What machine WAS the best and is NOW the best. They won’t say Stihl......or at least they sure as heck better not.
    stilh stuck to their name and it was worth it. Just beyond their competition in every way....but that was a long ways back!

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

That’s interesting and insightful
    I’ve had a farm boss for as long as I can remember
    It’s flawless
    But our company stihls are crap (won’t start ever like you say)
    I was blaming that on our former small engine mechanic
    But... maybe I’ll buy another chainsaw for the company (or two) and test your theory

echo chainsaws (in the past) have always been the climbers (if you drop then so what , cheap and replaceable)

I’ve never gotten along with huskies
    As a youth it was mcollough (back when that was a good brand) and then stihl

Now I have to rethink my chainsaws

been thinking of getting rid of stihl trimmers too

hort101 likes this.
  6. Garrett1234

My last three saws have been echos. Flawless in every regard. I didn’t buy the husky’s due to price: they just cost more than echos. But I like those huskys!
    And the echos have answered to everything we’ve thrown at them. I’ve had two guys running saws one day a week for the past 6 months. 10 hour days. There’s some dragging of limbs, but those saws are working most of the day. Now I get it, that’s not 7 days a week, but those saws are USED!!!
    Give the echos a shot. I don’t think you’ll be upset about the change. I loved the stihl saws at first, but they’re getting worse and worse in every regard.
    Either way, the rise of echo and husky will in turn cause stihl to improve down the road, and it’ll be beneficial to all of us.

hort101 likes this.
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I lose a lot of time due to the stihl starting thing
    The running joke is “who’s your physical trainer?”
    The answer “stihl always gives me a great cardio work out before we can get started”

now multiply that over 14 trimmers and 7 saws 5 days a week
    For whatever reason we don’t have nearly as much trouble starting the backpacks but it could be better.

ive been wanting to switch to echo 2 cycle for years now - especially the trimmers

hort101 likes this.
  8. Garrett1234

Due to the bad taste of the Stihl saws I have not used their back packs. However, based on ONLY my readings and coupled with what you’ve shared, the back packs must be something different. I can’t recall reading anything negative about them.
    I’ll add something else to my Stihl distaste: I recently had three saws die on the same day. Exact same day. Something like 15 minutes in. Not even sure if it was that long. They were all echos. I couldn’t believe it! I know my limitations and after a bit shelved them and moved on that day.
    I took them to the shop the next day and had em back in perfect running order that same afternoon.
    The desk guy told me it was the fuel I used. I said it’s impossible as I was running canned premix. I actually was a little heated in the exchange ensuring him it was not old fuel, filled that morning, and i wasn’t satisfied with the diagnosis. I was happy with the result however.
    he went and got the mechanic that worked on my saws. In his hand was an used Gatorade bottle filled with the fuel he drained from my saws. Not all of it, but some of it.
    He said, you used the stihl fuel didn’t you. I usually don’t but was in a pinch and purchased a few cans. I replied yes and he said that’s my problem. He’s worked on over 20 saws in the past few weeks with the exact same issue. He said their fuel is causing issues and to discard what i had and use another brand or mix my own.
    Since that day, same ole trusty echos

9. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Silver Member

this conversation makes me wonder if husqvarna buying redmax and echo buyin shindiawa has improved their products because of the japanese engineering smarts brought on board while stihl has kept the same old guard ?

Garrett1234 and hort101 like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Ive always preferred my Japanese made vehicles and equipment

Run echo trimmers pas and blowers
    Now getting into the chainsaws expect the same good long term results as the rest of my echo 2 stroke equipment

Doc8406 and Garrett1234 like this.