What chainsaws are you running?

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Platinum Member
sorry for sharing info and writing the completely wrong machine. 590 correct. That’s my largest echo. It’s substantially larger than my old ms250. When I get home I’ll take a photo showing some size diff if you’d like.
Ahhh ok that makes complete sense now.

The cs590 is 13lb 60 cc which is what you were talking about.

The one I'm considering is the cs490 10lb 50cc, which i believe is close in size to the ms250.

Seems like the echos have more pro features for a cheaper price point. Magnesium vs plastic and adjustable oilers for example.

The saw i really want is the stihl ms261 cm.

I'm having a really hard time justifying spending $650 for that when I can get the cs 490 for $350.

Garrett1234

LawnSite Senior Member
Ahhh ok that makes complete sense now.

The cs590 is 13lb 60 cc which is what you were talking about.

The one I'm considering is the cs490 10lb 50cc, which i believe is close in size to the ms250.

Seems like the echos have more pro features for a cheaper price point. Magnesium vs plastic and adjustable oilers for example.

The saw i really want is the stihl ms261 cm.

I'm having a really hard time justifying spending $650 for that when I can get the cs 490 for $350.
Give that echo a shot. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in the slightest. Especially when your talking about nearly half the price. I just love the echos. Been amazing machines for me. The few guys that spend the most hours on em like them A LOT

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Platinum Member
Give that echo a shot. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in the slightest. Especially when your talking about nearly half the price. I just love the echos. Been amazing machines for me. The few guys that spend the most hours on em like them A LOT
They review really well. You highly recommend it. I think I'm gonna go for it.

I have a few stihl items and its easy to get caught up in brand loyalty/ snobbery. I like stihl but not for double the price.

The stihl ms250 is around $350 which is comparable in price to the echo cs490 however it seems like the echo has a lot better features.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Platinum Member
An echo 400 is a good 40cc saw too

I am getting a 3510 soon its ordered already its a nice 35 cc saw to replace the 352 in echos line up

I also have a 500p which is an upgraded 490 its a great lightweight 50 cc pro saw
That is another option i considered going with the pro echo 500 p over the prosumer cs490. Both 50cc.

Is it worth spending another $100 to jump up to the 500?

OP
hort101

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
That is another option i considered going with the pro echo 500 p over the prosumer cs490. Both 50cc.

Is it worth spending another $100 to jump up to the 500?
I didn't buy it new theres a few differences some guys say a bigger muffler exit makes the 490 comparable

For me its about picking a size for the work and go from there I like a lighter saw so I go smaller saws first

Last edited:

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
I bought a Makita branded Dolmar 6100 a while back. I like my Husky XP a little better but it’s a more expensive saw. The Makita starts pretty easy and winds tight which is what I like in a saw. It’ll cut circles around my 50 cc saw which was the idea when I bought it. I’ve also recently bought a top handle saw. I bought it for bucket truck and I don’t use it for anything else. I can’t stand cutting brush with little saws. My saws running 3/8 chain hardly ever throws the chain and pinching isn’t a big problem unless it’s in a bad bind. Even time I pickup someone else’s little saw I’m quickly frustrated by how easily it’s pinched and throws the chain. And my limb cutting often consist of 6” plus limbs. Using my Dolmar for that job isn’t overkill.

Outlawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
-Stihl 361 with 25” bar and several of the aggressive Stihl chains.
-Echo 331T arborist saw with 12” bar

Have also had a Husqvarna 450 rancher with 20” bar, an Echo CS340 with 18” bar, an Echo CS310 with 14” bar, and a Stihl 036 with 20” bar.
I mistyped this post. I had a CS-400, not a 340. I don’t know why I put that.

HEMTT

LawnSite Senior Member
I use mostly Stihl Pro saws, saying that my favorite new toy is the Echo CS-2511T. I use it for limbing and cleanup around the fire pit, it is just so light, with adequate power, I just LOVE the little bugger. It IS expensive but at about 6 pounds with gas and oil its hard to believe it is a real chainsaw, not a electric kids toy.