• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

What chainsaws are you running?

Outlawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
I know this is an older thread but I'm in love with the Husqvarna 550xp that I bought after Hurricane Isaias rolled through my area. I already had two Husqvarna saws and a good dealer in town so it's the only brand I looked at when I decided that I wanted/needed another medium sized saw.

What brought me to the decision of buying a new saw was I was out clearing an oak tree that had fallen across a doctor customer's driveway at 9 pm in the dark by headlight and headlamp and accidentally contacted driveway gravel with my 55 Rancher. It would have been nice to just grab another saw rather than changing the chain in the dark on my truck tailgate. Also I knew that I had several large trees down on my 34 acre wooded property with some of them encroaching on or blocking access on my neighbor's properties.

I've had a 55 Rancher with an 18 inch bar since 1998 and it's been a good reliable saw, but it's a bit heavy and just doesn't handle that well. I had bought a 136 with a 14 inch bar several years ago for lighter saw work and easy handling. It's also been a good saw but it just doesn't have what it takes to handle bigger jobs.

So off to my Husqvarna dealer I went. They were sold out of the 455 Ranchers, the 461 seemed too heavy and clunky and the larger XP saws seemed like overkill and like more saw than I could see myself grabbing and running as my new primary saw. The 550XP with an 18 inch bar felt perfect in my hands, so out the door with me it went.

I've since run about 10 tanks of fuel through it and I just love the way it handles and it doesn't wear me out the way my 55 Rancher does. It's got excellent power and really rips through hardwood. It was the perfect choice for me. I also like the single lever choke/on/off control, mostly because it's so easy to shut it down when it's time to hustle away when felling. It's been 2 months and I'm still working on cleaning up...View attachment 411423View attachment 411424View attachment 411425View attachment 411426View attachment 411427View attachment 411428View attachment 411429View attachment 411432
Those are some impressive snags and widow makers. Be careful.

Outlawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
Anybody run RedMax saws? I’ve always wondered how those are but have never met anyone who runs them.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Member
Those are some impressive snags and widow makers. Be careful.
Yeah I'm waiting until the leaves fall before even thinking about dropping anything involved in the mess in the 4th through 6th photos. I can't even see exactly how the trees are involved with each other at this point. I have a trail through/under there and for now I've cut a trail around it and blocked off the original trail with brush. I do have a pole saw I can use for dropping things from 10 feet away, but if I can't do it safely I'll leave it be.

rippinryno

LawnSite Silver Member
took some big chunks home last night with the old farm boss, can't believe such a wimpy saw could get the job done, lol! Didn't even bring the echo.

Attachments

rippinryno

LawnSite Silver Member
Mulberry not cedar.

Mulb is dense, heavy, and not exactly butter with any saw or chain. Only issue is that it can be stringy with the splitter if its not straight rounds. Also takes a couple years to season. It is fantastic firewood once seasoned. High btu. I split that load in the photo yesterday and its more than a cord