1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

What chemical to use to clean the mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tsh1773, Jul 5, 2005.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Scag Tiger Cub and it shows dirt and grime terribly. What is the best chemical used to take that stuff off. I use a 2400 lb pressure washer and still have to scrub like crazy to clean the mower. My front rims look black instead of orange and a brush will not get into the smaller hard to reach places. What chemical or chemicals do you or mower shops use to remove the stuff and where can I get some. Thanks.

2. RKISTNER1

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Zep Degreaser @ Home Depot. Works Great!

3. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I would advise against using a pressure washer of any size. Pressure washers tend to get water into areas that it shouldn't be. In fact, I only use water from the hose a couple times a season, blower and whisk broom gets used daily.

Ask for a cleaner, I use a product called Purple Muscle, it's a degreaser and does a pretty good job. Spray on and wipe off.

Buck

4. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

Simple Green is by far the best that I've used. It's a great cleaner and not quite as harsh as some of the engine degtreasers. If you're using a power washer, no scrubbing needed. Get the machine wet, spray it on and let it soak for a couple minutes. Power washer will take everything right off.

Sometimes you can even find a knock-off of Simple green at the dollar store that works just as well.

5. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I'm from the same opinion. Rain water is fine but ones you start using water from a hose at pressure then you may run into problems. I used to run my mower over a puddle and fire up the blades to clean the under side of the deck. I ruined a spindle doing that because it forced water into places the grease was supposed to be.

6. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all of the information.

7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

greased lightning works great for removing grass stains

8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

ZEP! Only way to go. I keep a gallon in a our pump sprayer - mist it on the mower, deck, wheels, let sit a bit, light brushing the bigger areas, rinse & only rinse - power washer can be a hazzard - pretty looking. Every two weeks all mowers get done. I have more people tell me I am in the money - I ask why - new mowers again?? =))

9. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

castrol super clean (walmart ) or purple power (auto zone ) works great!!!!!