What class of people do you work for?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimsLocalLawn, Dec 21, 2017.

1. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

So I wanted to start a thread to discuss what class of customers we each work for. I guess you could categorize everybody in three classes - Lower, Middle, and Upper class. Although there are the poor and 1% , I'm going to assume most of us don't work for them. Keep in mind these are national averages and your mileage may vary state to state.

Median Household Income:

Poor Class - $30k per year (or less)
    Lower Class - $56k per year (or less)
    Middle Class - $56k - 125K per year
    Upper Class - $200k - $400k per year
    1% Rich Class - $400k + Per year

The majority of my clients are Middle class, but I have more Lower class customers than Upper class. Most of my lower class clients are on the schedule because my heart got in the way of business. Little lonely lady on social security type of thing.

What types of customer do you work for?

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

I dont ask them how much they make

3. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

You never know about some folks...they may live in a million $ home and be in debt up to their eyeballs. I just did a $2300 job for a guy who lives in a old falling apart house who wears duct tape around his shoes holding them together. He is a great customer and sometimes I have the hardest time getting payment from the people living in the big fancy homes driving Mercedes.

I just want consistent customers who pay me consistently and don't complain.

4. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

Doesn't matter to me how much they make as long as they pay my invoice on time.

5. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Razorbackfan works mostly for lower class and poor people, it’s his niche. Glad for him

For me, I service mostly upper class with a few 1%ers. Have more issues getting paid than I would like, but most understand the mowing invoice as a regular bill like cable or internet. What I have found is the ones that live in the nicest houses, are the most hesitant to pay more. Go figure

6. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Work for the paying class. That's the class you left out of your chart who make between $126-$199k.

rclawn likes this.
  7. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah...probably more middle to lower middle class but in defining these terms it helps to know cost of living in one's area. Cost of living here is cheap.

RDALawns and Ridin' Green like this.
  8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Rich or Old, or Rich and Old. I never ask how much they make but its more than I make.

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

True

I'd say I have middle to upper. Could have more of upper but I've learned to lean toward simpler lawns.

10. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I was just messing with you

Rock chalk