1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

What could be causing this?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by awayne, Sep 22, 2017.

1. awayne

awayne LawnSite Senior Member

This is a property that a customer wants to redo the grass in just the front now BUT if you look at the pics what would you do??

I also do have a video showing how I can grab the grass and pull it up sorta like it's sod that hasn't fully rooted in yet.

The owner of the property thought it would be a good idea to do dethatching with one of those pull behind his garden tractor and you can see how great it looks now!

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3230.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG

2. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

3. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Dig into the dirt some on the edge where it's still green, you'll find them IMG_0461.JPG IMG_0462.JPG house I had to use dylox on couple days ago

4. awayne

I examined it and it didn't seem to be any grubs anywhere. That is the first thing I thought when I saw how bad it looked after the customer did what he did!

He wants it replanted but I'm worried that there will be an issue with the new lawn because of this issue even though I'll be topdressing the whole front yard then seeding.

5. awayne

His grass looked nothing like that at all!

It looked fine till you would scrap at it or even my mower sucked a little up last time!

6. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Soil test?

7. awayne

Another thing is it looked like it was worse when it is possibly bent grass??

8. awayne

That's what I was thinking too and suggested. But we are dealing with the time of year and running out of it!

How quickly are soil tests now a days?

Could start killing it while waiting for the results of the test maybe?

9. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

What is the soil texture like?
    Irrigated?

10. awayne

No irrigation
    Soil seems good... the lawn was put in approximately 12 years ago. They brought in a bunch of top soil for the front and back.

The customer says he has never had an issue with grubs either.