What did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Wright.Flyer, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Wright.Flyer

Wright.Flyer LawnSite Member

What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

Facts:
    Bermuda lawn, Texas
    16,000 sqft that was being sprayed
    4 gallon Chapin battery operated sprayed
    MSM (.0075 oz/1000 or .33oz/acre)
    Trimec Southern (.75 oz/1000)
    Lesco 12-0-0 Chelated Iron (8oz /1000)
    Spray rate 1 Gal/1000 sqft

Process:
    Filled a measuring cup with 16 oz of water. Poured in .12 oz of MSM. Stirred. Let rest for 5 Stirred again. Divided up into (4) 4 oz cups. Therefore each cup had .03 oz, or .0075 oz per gallon.

Filled Chapin backpack sprayer with 2 Gallons of water, added cup from of MSM mix, added 3oz Trimec Southern, added 32 Oz Lesco 12-0-0. Put on lid , shook it up well, added 2 more gallons, shook it up again and went to spray.

Results:
    I noticed as I poured the Trimec Southern into the backpack sprayer that it seemed to leave a film on the filter basket. I sprayed the first 4 gallons just fine. Refilled and sprayed the 2nd 4 gallons also fine. Refilled a third time and the sprayer wouldn't spray. The line had no fluid in it, there was nothing coming from the tank.

I poured it all into a 5 gallon bucket and checked the inside of the tank. It had a dark brown ULTRA tacky oily film in it. The filters were about 15% clogged. I put in water and lots of dishwashing detergent to try and clean it out and it just laughed at me. I ran my fingers inside for a while trying to scrub it and it wont come off. In fact I got the film stuck all over my finger tips and water and soap would not take of off. I was able to get about 50% of it off with paint thinner, even then it was struggle.

The brown tacky stuff smells like and has the same color as the Trimec Southern, so I believe that is the culprit. However, what did I do wrong to make it gum up my entire sprayer and stick to everything? How do I prevent that in the future and what will clean it out of the sprayer now that its broken?

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

Why are you not wareing gloves when handling pesticides?

Have you done this mix in the past?

Did you jar test your mix?

Matthews Lawn Care and hort101 like this.
  3. Wright.Flyer

No this was the first time using this mix. I did not jar test it before either.

4. Wright.Flyer

Here is the inside of the measuring cup. It isn't as bad as this in the sprayer but you can see the tacky coating

Trimec Mess.png

5. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

I don't use msm but just read the label. Label says harmful if absorb through skin. Also state clearly on the label to wait at least a week before applying another pesticide.

You need to read and understand the label before you go spraying.

6. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

Are you a homeowner applying to your personal lawn or for hire?

7. Wright.Flyer

Yes it does say

"Allow one week between the application of MSM Turf Herbicide and
    other pesticide products. (This guideline can be relaxed where a
    severe insect or disease attack requires immediate treatment)"

It also list a myriad of pesticides that can be tank mixed with it, so I know it can be tank mixed successfully. I also added it to the tank first before the other chemicals were added per the instruction on the MSM.

I am a homeowner using it on my own lawn

8. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

Continuous agitation is required to keep the product in suspension.

Shaking will not keep it suspended.

I don't use these chems so maybe someone that does can chime in.

9. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

When mixing most herbicide with fertilizer follow these steps faithfully for a successful application:

1. Dilute herbicide in water (1 part herbicide to 1 to 2 parts water) and agitate before adding to the fertilizer solution. If possible, add the water and herbicide to the tank first, and then add the liquid fertilizer.
    2. Maintain continuous, vigorous agitation throughout mixing and application without interruption.
    3. Apply the mixed solution as soon as mixing is complete. Do not store the spray mixture.
    4. Don’t apply in freezing or very cold weather. The likelihood of mixing or compatibility problems with liquid fertilizer increases under cold conditions.

10. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

It was the 12-0-0 which I assume was an chelates iron product. You always need to do a jar test with chelated iron products. They do not mix with certain herbicides.