What did you guys think of Mahts this year??

HHlandscaping

LawnSite Member
I went to the Mahts trade show this week in Ac just wondering what you guys thought of it?

1 I went to a basic retaining wall course, with two employees of E.p that seemed like they had no clue on public speaking that put me to sleep.

2 second course was taught be Bill from Interstate landscaping which I thought he was pretty knowledgeable about things, but when he said that 1 ton trucks are no good and we all need internationals too carry more then 1 pallet to the job I kind of started scratching my head. and when he said he gives prices on the job in the first meeting with the client I was kind of surprised.

3 Charles Vander kooi I thought was very good and the way he taught and spoke like he was a wrestler.

4 The food was horrible. and they didn't give out anything free no shirts hats stickers. lol

just some thoughts

luky013

LawnSite Member
I agree, I took 6 classes this year and cant say I learned enough to justify going back. less vendors and the food was horrible. they did give out free hats

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Charles V speaks like a crazy college professor! I love it! I remember one year (at a hotel conference center) they were doing a seminar next to charles's seminar. A person from next door came over and asked Charles to tone it down! And they weren't very friendly about it LOL! Good times....Good times!

Posted via Mobile Device

srl28

LawnSite Bronze Member
Was thinking about going but wound up not. Friend of mine is a supplier to our industry and had a booth at the AC show. Said there were lots of lectures and classes, etc but the show was slow and few vendors. Basically said it was not worth going to unfortunately for either contractor or dealer/supplier

jbailey52

LawnSite Bronze Member
We are at the AC one.. first time.. probably last time. The Techobloc seminar last month in NJ was 10 times better.. I was really surprised how bad this was.

joee0914

LawnSite Member
I took the ICPI level 1 down there.. It was presented by keith from natural enhancements, and he did a pretty good job. As far as the actual trade show... it was a joke..and I wouldnt be able to justify going if they didnt offer the certification courses.

LVHardscape

LawnSite Member
We are at the AC one.. first time.. probably last time. The Techobloc seminar last month in NJ was 10 times better.. I was really surprised how bad this was.
Not really sure how you can compare the techo showcase to the MAHT show. The techo show consists of a 6-7 hour seminar, half of which involves smoke blowing and carrying on by paver pete; vs. mahts which is 2-3 days straight of educational classes. It's like oranges to apples. Vanderkoi seminars are always great, as were many of the other ones.

However I thought what was really interesting about MAHT's, was I took a class on soils and compaction, taught by Bill Gardocki. Bill was the installer of the techobloc job that was featured on the showcase tour and also throughout the 2012 book. Halfway through all his pictures i thought it all looked familiar, then it all clicked, same job. Good guy tho!

jbailey52

LawnSite Bronze Member
Im comparing the "seminars"... One was WATER FEATURES AND HARDSCAPING... The guys was a nice enough guy.. we actually ordered some water features from his company the next day.. but all he did for 1hr and a half was talk about how relaxing ponds are... Not how to market and sell them, install them... etc..

Waste of time in my book.

It seems to me that Techo is much more in sync with the hardscaper then EP henry is.

LVHardscape

LawnSite Member
i agree that maybe some of their screening process for instructors should be better. but the general ammount of knowledge is far greater than the techo.