Lawn Care Forum banner
121 - 140 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Nobody is getting housing for 1/4 of a single income where I am. As a small business owner if I only worked 40 hours a week, half of my income would go to my mortgage and I bought a very very modest home. It is at the point where what my market will bear is not worth it to hire employees for $30/hr (CAD) and profit $5/hr off their work. No problem with doing labour myself, that is expected. 90% of the people posting here are like me, by themselves or a handful of employees, still doing labour themselves. Most of us never got rich off employee labour and probably never would.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Nobody is getting housing for 1/4 of a single income where I am. As a small business owner if I only worked 40 hours a week, half of my income would go to my mortgage and I bought a very very modest home. It is at the point where what my market will bear is not worth it to hire employees for $30/hr (CAD) and profit $5/hr off their work. No problem with doing labour myself, that is expected. 90% of the people posting here are like me, by themselves or a handful of employees, still doing labour themselves. Most of us never got rich off employee labour and probably never would.
$30 per hour CAD

I’m averaging $58USD and that’s including non-billable time. On-site job time is well north of $65-$70.

paying $20 avg USD.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I'm only going to address the steaks, having been a broiler chef for several years. Three things: 1) It's often the customer that doesn't understand what the "doneness" levels are, not the chef. 2) It's impossible to "uncook" a steak so it's better to send it out undercooked. It can always be cooked longer. 3) If you order your steak well done you can expect some charring.

·
Registered
12,016 Posts
I am racking my brain around the laborer shortage.

It got me thinking when my girl and I went out to a nice steak dinner and a movie last night. The restaurant we went to had many available tables, but there was a 45 minute wait. Patrons saw all the empty tables and didn't want to wait because clearly they were understaffed on a Friday night, so they walked out...
Wife & I had the same situation occur at a local steak-house on a Saturday night a few months back. About a 30 minute wait for a table when we got there. Not for the typical reason of that they were packed-full on a busy night, but instead they were very understaffed! As once we were seated we noticed that half the tables in the place were empty!

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
We just stopped at Wendy's today for lunch. Took about 20 min to get food from the time I ordered. Total time in the fast food place for a to go oder was over 30 min. Had virtually no workers. Lots of fast food places here don't even open the dining areas anymore because they don't have the staff... So we have to constantly hunt to find a place because the trailer won't do the drive through.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
We just stopped at Wendy's today for lunch. Took about 20 min to get food from the time I ordered. Total time in the fast food place for a to go oder was over 30 min. Had virtually no workers. Lots of fast food places here don't even open the dining areas anymore because they don't have the staff... So we have to constantly hunt to find a place because the trailer won't do the drive through.
I refuse to eat in my vehicle.
Screw that. If you're going to lock the dining room, I should get a discount for being forced to eat in my car.

Too many people played along and now it's the norm.
I'll go home or to a family restaurant before I'll eat fast food in my truck.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
I eat in my vehicle because if I didn't everything would be gone... as in stolen here. Even if it's locked down, clamped in... Doesn't matter. It's walking away. Lawn guys get followed by criminal crews with bolt cutters. Waiting for them to stop for lunch here. No exaggerating. I always tell my guys they can go inside and eat. Some have and do. Most usually just come back out to the truck. That's their perogative.

·
Registered
12,016 Posts
We just stopped at Wendy's today for lunch. Took about 20 min to get food from the time I ordered. Total time in the fast food place for a to go order was over 30 min. Had virtually no workers. Lots of fast food places here don't even open the dining areas anymore because they don't have the staff... So we have to constantly hunt to find a place because the trailer won't do the drive through.
I've had that happen as well. Horrendously long want times sitting in the drive-thru lane. Get to the Speaker Box and after another wait, someone comes on and says "we'll be with you in a minute". (Which usually takes longer). While waiting, reading a hand-written message taped to the Menu Board of all the items that they're out of. And the seeing the "Hiring for all shifts" sign stuck in the lawn next to the drive-thru lane. Needless to say, Fast Food is pretty darn slow these days! :mad:

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
The new thing here is for workers to put signs on the drive through that reads "cc machine out of order... Exact change only". They are robbing the owners. The workers here are pocketing the money. Welcome to Memphis. Lately signs have been posted by the owners that read it you see a sign like this to call this number... But those signs are disappearing to put up the afore mentioned signs.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I implore all you guys who can’t find labor to continue complaining to each other. Nobody owes you a thing. You used to exploit wage slaves who are now wise to your schtick. Sorry that you now have to do actual work instead of making the “entitled younger generation” slog it out for you. A living wage, by the way, is enough money for one person to spend ¼ of their monthly income on renting a lower-end apartment. This is not my opinion, it’s a widely accepted, long-standing metric. Anyone who works 40 hours per week should be able to have a roof over their head and not be poor. Don’t let greed rule your worldview.
1/3. Not 1/4.
Does the worker have the right to live in the same city where he works? Because property values are high where people pay good $ for home services. Workers can commute 20mins to work in almost any US city and find cheap and respectable housing.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just stop. Trump printed free $ and now we are seeing the long term results. He proudly made sure his name was on the checks. I know teenagers that didn’t even have any bills that were getting $600+ a week. Imagine being 18 and Handed $1000 a week for sitting on ur arss you don’t think that affected the work force and their unrealistic expectations??
Absolutely right. You can't cut taxes and give away tons of cash at the same time. The war in Ukraine and China's insane "no Covid" policy are responsible for maybe 1-2% of inflation. But the rest is the hole trump dug.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This mess is on Biden. All this would be on Trump. If not for a rigged / stolen election.
I wonder how much the 2000 mule. Was paid.
Turning in a selfie stuffing ballot boxes . That is on security cameras. & the authorities are doing nothing.
I'm hearing that people's 401k's are Down 19% . Losing money daily.
Now babies are lucky to get formula.
Report that covid will break out again come fall.
I do not see the work force getting any stronger. Anytime soon.
Take the lies and wacko theories to the politics thread.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Your article seems to be arguing for a shorter work day.

The 40 hour work week is outdated. If wages kept up with productivity we wouldn't be having this discussion. Some countries have moved to shorter work weeks and don't seem to be devolving into dystopian hell holes.
That is true. Many of those other countries have free child care and weeks of vacation each year, and free public colleges too. The middle class has not received a real wage increase in decades, since Reagan I think. Not talking about unskilled laborers, but the real middle class, tha majority of America.

121 - 140 of 186 Posts