What do LCO's do after shutting down?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by SS Lawn Care, Jun 12, 2018.

1. SS Lawn Care

SS Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

This has been a question for me for quite a few years. First off, I love the Lawn and Landscape industry. It is interesting to me, I get it, and I feel I know much more than the average Joe. I love the machines, the tech talk, and discussing the techniques used to do our job. There are times however, when being the one in the driver's seat constantly being keyed up by the usual problems or delays gets to be quite tiresome. I have a day or two a week where I get a huge since of dread just answering the phone or checking messages. I have toyed with the idea of working for someone else or some other company to try to get back to some kind of life with a little bit more stability and sanity. I don't know if that is possible either. Most of us LCO's make a decent living, and we have responsibilities and obligations to pay for, that our lawn work has been able to provide for. An LCO that has been doing this for 10 years, for example, is used to making a certain amount of money. It is very hard to just find another job that pays what you are used to making. There are many talented LCO's that have quit the business because they are simply burned out because they were not able to scale the business and build systems to make the business run as a machine. This is not an easy task as we all know. If I ever did leave my business, I feel I would still like to work in the industry and use the knowledge I have gained over the many years of experience. Just because I didn't create a self sustaining business machine doesn't necessarily make me a failure. My question is, what other lines of work have LCO's gone into after running their business that seems to work better for them after being in the grind for a long time?

2. SS Lawn Care

SS Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

"since" = "sense"

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Why not go to 2-3 days? Make the same as 5 days working for someone else. This is my 11th year and I gave up on “scaling “ its really not possible in my area. The work is there. The labor and prices are not.

SS Lawn Care and hort101 like this.
  4. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Senior Member

I got out 18 years ago and just getting back into mowing as it's ez,low stress money. Main reason I got out of it is I was bored by the simplicity of it. But after 15 years of painting for difficult customers, I re-welcomed the simplicity with open arms. See, I love going on long drives, it relaxes me. So mowing is similar in that way, it's peaceful to me.

5. mKp7Tn1

mKp7Tn1 LawnSite Member

Managers in every business deal with this, but that's why you make the big bucks, right?

It's what you know and what you're comfortable with but could you find someone to work for who would give you the work you "like" and compensate you at your current level for that non-managerial work.

If that's your current mental state then you need to take a break. No room for self-pity when running a business.

Do you have an education? If not then you're limited. You'll need to seek something you enjoy but after a while everything is work.

Dawson likes this.
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I got out after 35 years. Mowing and landscaping were killing my health. After mowing, I got into the stump grinding business. It really worked out well for me. Just one machine, worked when and where I wanted to, and no hired help, just me. Something to think about.

SS Lawn Care likes this.