Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you charge per man hour? where are you located? do you advertise your hourly rate?...or is it a secret?

i have a feeling my hourly rate is too low - $45 an hour per man - so its $90 an hour when the two helpers go out on their own, and $135 an hour when i join them.

however, i have a lot of $40 yards that take 2 guys 20 minutes to cut....and that seems fine - we can get 3 done in an hour....4 if im on the truck.

however....this gasoline thing thats going on....i am considering going up on my prices.....minimum lawn amount will be $45 and everyone else goes up $5....but im not sure if i am way out of line with the rest of the world.

im sure youll let me know though, thanks

edit: typos

·
Registered
35 Posts
what do you charge per man hour? where are you located? do you advertise your hourly rate?...or is it a secret?

i have a feeling my hourly rate is too low - $45 an hour per man - so its $90 an hour when the two helpers go out on their own, and $135 an hour when i join them.

however, i have a lot of $40 yards that take 2 guys 20 minutes to cut....and that seems fine - we can get 3 done in an hour....4 if im on the truck.

however....this gasoline thing thats going on....i am considering going up on my prices.....minimum lawn amount will be $45 and everyone else goes up $5....but im not sure if i am way out of line with the rest of the world.

We don't use hourly rate but look at the entire job. We also have our own software that uses instant price quote to calculate lawn care maintenance price. It's worked out great for us.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't use hourly rate but look at the entire job. We also have our own software that uses instant price quote to calculate lawn care maintenance price. It's worked out great for us.
thats confusing - so to give a bid or estimate you refer to a program? if a yard should take 2 men 20 minutes to cut, trim, edge and blow....and they want a weekly lawn service you dont know what youd charge? on that same yard, if they want their tall photinia bushes cut and the program came up with the bid price.....but the customer asks "$128 dollars to trim my bushes!? howd you get that number!? you say "my computer software calculated it" ?

im both intrigued and horrified, fill me in

·
Registered
35 Posts
thats confusing - so to give a bid or estimate you refer to a program? if a yard should take 2 men 20 minutes to cut, trim, edge and blow....and they want a weekly lawn service you dont know what youd charge? on that same yard, if they want their tall photinia bushes cut and the program came up with the bid price.....but the customer asks "$128 dollars to trim my bushes!? howd you get that number!? you say "my computer software calculated it" ?

Yes, that's the software we created and used for 7 years, 44k service appointments completed so far, mostly came from online booking. My husband is an engineer before he started the lawn care business. He came up with an algoithum to calculate the price mainly based on lot sizes. The pricing is for maintenance only. Mow (if there's lawn), many yard in Phx don't have grass, trimming bushes if needed, blow, that's it. Anything else is separate and requires quote. We clearly spelled out on our website. It's somewhat difficult to describe but this is a demo of how our software works.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that's the software we created and used for 7 years, 44k service appointments completed so far, mostly came from online booking. My husband is an engineer before he started the lawn care business. He came up with an algoithum to calculate the price mainly based on lot sizes. The pricing is for maintenance only. Mow (if there's lawn), many yard in Phx don't have grass, trimming bushes if needed, blow, that's it. Anything else is separate and requires quote. We clearly spelled out on our website. It's somewhat difficult to describe but this is a demo of how our software works.

incredible, thank you

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thank you! We're fortunate our in-house app has helped us grow so much in the past few years. We're planning to make our software available to all, hopefully, the others can benefit also. We're really excited about that.
What’s that roll out going to look like? One time fee, monthly service fee etc?

·
Registered
924 Posts

When my refrigerator gave out and I needed a repair done I filled out an online form and these two guys showed up, in short order it became clear to me they were pros... Sure enough, software to figure it all out, on a tablet... Under 2 hours and $300 later my fridge was fixed, their van had out of state plates and they said that's where they were from, they literally drove here on this call...

To this day I can't figure out how they make it, the rates they charge are exhorbitant...

But from my own experience, looking back at my own 20 years I can tell you this...
It takes years, quite possibly those guys were 2nd genners... Or sub-contractors working under a much bigger outfit, many skilled laborers source out so much it baffles me.

But a light bulb came on that day, why not get paid to drive instead of working like an idiot?
To get paid more to work, expand the service area...

One thing is for sure:
Every business is different, how we operate varies widely.

When I started I worked for "30 an hour" but quite often it worked out to something more like 15-20 an hour, those rates being 20 years old don't account for inflation so I understand we can't make it on that today but make no mistake, it wasn't easy then either.

Gradually, slowly I worked my way up.
As my rates went up I found my area expanding, too...
Today I cover one big city, a small city and two counties.
Yesterday I drove 83 miles and spent 2h 43m on the road.
Yards serviced: 8, (7 mows, 1 chem)
Gross income: $333.89
Cost of chems: $20
Net: $314 (not a true net thou, doesn't include equipment, fuel, taxes, insurance, etc)

Actual time spent working in yards: 4 hours and 38 minutes (this is from time of arrival until time of departure) - Job site labor rate: $67.77 (average hourly, per yard)

Total man hours: 6 hours, 21 minutes (Job site labor hours plus driving hours)
Total Daily hourly rate: $49.45
That includes windshield time, chatting with customers, dinner, everything from the time I left home until I got back.

To the OP, are you charging enough?

You know what, I still wonder that myself.
All I know is, I charge as much as I think I can get away with.

·
Registered
356 Posts

Every area is different, next estimate for whatever just try 60 pmh, see how that goes.

·
Registered
155 Posts
When you say 60 per man your, you mean to tell me that you charge $120 to mow, edge, and blow if it takes you 2 hours from start to finish?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts