Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'm at $65 to $75/hr solo depending on who I'm working for and what I'm doing. My rates are no secret.

Mowing starts at $50. I shoot for $75+/hr on the job while mowing but fall short of that on some of my big lawns, especially this time of year when the grass grows so fast. I was on a $120 mowing job for almost 3 hours yesterday double cutting the whole lawn. No big deal, it all evens out. I do lots of other work there and enjoy making it look the best that I can.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I charge $115 to mow trim and blow a yard that takes me 1 hr 45 minutes if I'm slow. I charge $50 for a vacantot that takes 10 minutes. Some others aren't quite that good.
Damn I’m not charging enough then! Price hike come 2023!!! I should have done it this year, but lack of enough notice bit me in the butt! 👎

Reactions: Youngandfree

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Shop to shop im running about 105/hr for straight mowing this summer. When mowers cost 30/hr to run how can you run them for 45/hr?

Cleanups run 85-100, snow is 250ish, and tractor work is 100-125 an hour.
what mower costs $30/hr to run? Seems like a lot. I run my little excavator about $20/hr in fuel/maint and depreciation. No mowers though

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
$55-60 per man hour in my area seems to be the competitive rate. Where you will win maybe 50% of bids. A lot of jobs / accounts bring in more. But I’ve found shooting for $70-80 hr when bidding I will usually loose. Depends on the job / type of work. But basic stuff like mowing & mulch is pretty competitive. We can do $65 per man hour on my mowing route including loading up & lunch break .. but it took a few years of price adjustment on existing customers and dropping other customers to get there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
what mower costs $30/hr to run? Seems like a lot. I run my little excavator about $20/hr in fuel/maint and depreciation. No mowers though
Figure a 15k mower at 1000 hours gets you 15/hr, 5/hr for blades/wear items/maintenance, and 2 gallons an hour at 5/hr to run it. Makes 30/hr.

Of course you can sell it at 1000 hours for 5-6k, so you could argue less for that, and maybe whittle away the maintenance cost, but I figure high so I keep pushing to have money on hand for replacement.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Figure a 15k mower at 1000 hours gets you 15/hr, 5/hr for blades/wear items/maintenance, and 2 gallons an hour at 5/hr to run it. Makes 30/hr.

Of course you can sell it at 1000 hours for 5-6k, so you could argue less for that, and maybe whittle away the maintenance cost, but I figure high so I keep pushing to have money on hand for replacement.
And then tack on an operator at 20+ an hour and all of the associated employee expenses that go along with them and at 50 pmh you're going backwards IMHO

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

Of course, you can sell it at 1000 hours for 5-6k, so you could argue less for that, and maybe whittle away the maintenance cost, but I figure high so I keep pushing to have money on hand for replacement.
The reality most people are not running the mower full time either. 8hrs day X 5 days week X 52 weeks = 2080 hours. Most people are not replacing mowers 2X a year. Most companies are typically looking at about 2 years or more before hitting close to 1K hours on a mower. But you do also need to look at the cost of all the equipment - Truck, handhelds, and mowers. I generally look at handhelds as being replaced every year, Mowers every 3, and Trucks at 5. I often keep trucks and mowers longer but that is the depreciation rate so I use it. You also get depreciation on equipment which should be part of your equipment cost. Then you add in inflation and loan cost less salvage cost.

Maintenance costs can be very high even if you do it in-house and that does need to be considered. Insurance cost too.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Not a secret but you need to know how to calculate your hourly rate based on Labor Rate, + Labor Burden, + Overhead and Profit.
My in house numbers are: Labor+Labor Burden = $38.30/hr.
General Overhead= $6.10/hr
Administrative Overhead= $11.52/hr
Business Profit= $6.06/hr
Owner Profit= $7.58/hr
Grand Total = $69.56/hr
Break even is $55.92/hr, everything above that is Business and Owner Profit (some bid jobs end up deep into the profit party, others hover a bit too close to break even.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I’m in Canada and how I get my number for 4 total workers including myself for general landscape and installs with average wage being $29 per hour. 3 hours per day office time.
$11,000 per month is my overhead and divided over 22 working days I calculate each person doing 7 labour hours per day. This includes all truck payments and equipment maintenance, saving $2000 a month for big purchases and $100 per week for small tool replacement.

my labour burden is $37 per hour including paid stat And sick days, workers comp and unemployment etc, then $18/hr covers the $11,000 per month. So we are at $55 breakeven. We just have 2 new truck payments and 1 excavator payment. I pay myself $400 per month for storage.

it’s probably getting closer to $60 now with fuel and how much new vehicles cost so I’ll call that my breakeven next year. We currently do some work as low as $65/man hour.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts