What do you charge to put out pine straw?

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I think I'm glad we don't see any phone straw around here. One of my clients asked about it since he sees it at myrtle beach all the time. I'd have to remove most of his mulch if he wanted to convert it.

How is it regarding maintenance work? Blowing clippings and such. If he wanted to do it, he's going to get metal edging and the whole nine yards.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
I think I'm glad we don't see any phone straw around here. One of my clients asked about it since he sees it at myrtle beach all the time. I'd have to remove most of his mulch if he wanted to convert it.

How is it regarding maintenance work? Blowing clippings and such. If he wanted to do it, he's going to get metal edging and the whole nine yards.
Just put the straw on top of the existing mulch.

Clippings blend in with the straw provided they aren’t too many. No need for metal edging.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Just put the straw on top of the existing mulch.

Clippings blend in with the straw provided they aren’t too many. No need for metal edging.
Thanks. He would like he medal edging though. Especially on a small slope next to his driveway where mulch washes down.

notoriousSTV

LawnSite Member
You can get away with pinestraw once a year if the customer has it done at the right time of year. Right after leaf cleanup, or january/February. That's when the needles are freshest and best color. Pinestraw in June through the summer months is garbage.....its not falling off the trees, they are raking the bottom stuff. Not fresh.

Prime accounts do it twice a year here.
Based on our 3xperience it takes the same number of bales each time. Not a 1/3 less to refresh it. I can refresh hardwood mulch with a 1/3 less if we barely cover at 1 inch.

Again here 1 bale cover approx 50 sq ft.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
You can get away with pinestraw once a year if the customer has it done at the right time of year. Right after leaf cleanup, or january/February. That's when the needles are freshest and best color. Pinestraw in June through the summer months is garbage.....its not falling off the trees, they are raking the bottom stuff. Not fresh.

Prime accounts do it twice a year here.
Based on our 3xperience it takes the same number of bales each time. Not a 1/3 less to refresh it. I can refresh hardwood mulch with a 1/3 less if we barely cover at 1 inch.

Again here 1 bale cover approx 50 sq ft.
My experience is 3-4 bales is equivalent to one yard of bulk mulch in coverage.

The 1/3 less comment was regarding the second year of pine straw and going forward after covering bulk mulch. The first year takes more to get a decent base.

Agreed, summer pine straw is full of junk.

Good comment about putting out fresh straw over fallen leaves. Blowing leaves out of straw usually ends up with most of the straw going away. Better to do minimal blowing and cover the rest with fresh straw.

At least here it is....................

OP
L

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member

I like it other than the fact that it doesn't last too long. In the summer it seems to bake in the sun and turn grey fast. Leaves blow out of it easy as long as it hasn't been freshly put down. If so you can fluff it up and turn some of the leaves under. And you can cover the mulch I guess with the straw, if the mulch is thin. It's way easier to straw over mulch than mulch over straw. I don't even like edging around mine. Just fluff it under real nice and neat with a blower. Then when you mow take the string trimmer and angle it into the edge under the straw and run it from left to right and it will fluff up nice if that makes sense, and give it a nice edge.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
I like it other than the fact that it doesn't last too long. In the summer it seems to bake in the sun and turn grey fast. Leaves blow out of it easy as long as it hasn't been freshly put down. If so you can fluff it up and turn some of the leaves under. And you can cover the mulch I guess with the straw, if the mulch is thin. It's way easier to straw over mulch than mulch over straw. I don't even like edging around mine. Just fluff it under real nice and neat with a blower. Then when you mow take the string trimmer and angle it into the edge under the straw and run it from left to right and it will fluff up nice if that makes sense, and give it a nice edge.
Good tips here.

Top Forums